Emissions

For starters and the biggest problem I live in California. How much difference does a a high flow cat make and what should I be going with an X pipe or an H pipe? I was gonna go BBK but was wondering if one or the other will hamper my passing emissions?

• Sponsors (?)

First off I do not even think they can sell such a "cat-pipe" in California or ship to a California address. You are stuck with OE catalytic converters. At least that is my understanding. You can fail a emissions test by have non Cali approved catalytic converters on the car.

I would disagree with Bullitt347. There are 50 state approved high flow cats available. Where in Cali are you located? A reputable exhaust shop in California should be able to help you out. At least with giving you some information and possibly even a quote.

I would disagree with Bullitt347. There are 50 state approved high flow cats available. Where in Cali are you located? A reputable exhaust shop in California should be able to help you out. At least with giving you some information and possibly even a quote.
Well Ive seen them sold at LRS and they say emissions legal. And LRS will tell you if you they can't send them to california. But I noticed only two converters and not four is this because they are high flow?

This is the description:
Benefits

• Perfect Match To Your New Short Tube Headers or your stock headers
  • Emissions Legal
  • Less Restrictive Than Factory

Features

• Aluminized Steel Tubing
  • Mandrel Bent
  • 2.5" Diameter
  • Includes High Flow Cats
  • Fits 1986-93 5.0L

What's in the box?

• (1) H-Pipe
  • All Needed Hardware
  • Installation Instructions

Description

BBK Performance H pipes have been the number one performance brand that Ford Mustang enthusiasts have enjoyed for years.

All BBK 86-95 Mustang direct replacement H-pipes feature 2.5” diameter CNC mandrel bent aluminized tubing with two high flow catalytic converters to ensure maximum flow, horsepower, and streetability.

OEM- original O2 Sensor locations and factory style die-stamped flanges ensure a perfect fit and BBK In-house dyno-testing has shown solid gains of 12-20 horsepower depending on application.

ALL BBK full length H pipes are designed as direct bolt on to factory headers or any aftermarket shorty headers as well as of course BBK shorty headers.

Each BBK H pipe offers performance, quality and value that guarantees years of top performance for your Ford Mustang.

New applications are being updated to the ever growing BBK Performance product line if you do not see your application please e mail us for availability.

All auto parts that affect emissions will have a California Clean Air Board sticker & number if they are not OEM equipment. If the sticker & number are real and not fake, they are legal to use and you can pass the visual emissions test with them. Always ask about the CARB sticker number and check it against information available from the California Clean Air Board. Google California Clean Air Board to get a web address and more information.

Summary:
A "50 state legal *cat*" means SH*T!!!!!!!!

It's the COMPLETE emission SYSTEM that Calf (and other States) care about.

So, you REQUIRE FOUR CATS IN THE SAME EXACT LOCATION WITH THE SAME (or tested to pass) EXHAUST PIPE DIAMETER.

ANYTHING ELSE EFFECTS SMOG, especially cold start - PERIOD!!!

This has been gone over a zillion times. Unfortunately, people that do not know the smog laws, or the real Calf smog laws keep posting incorrect info.

Now, does that mean that every Calf inspection station, and every inspector, does things 100% to the State law and properly checks everything - DUH NO!! But, you can bet that ~99+% do it correctly.

So, some people get lucky in Calf with incorrect setups.
Some people also win the lottery.
You can empty your bank account and buy lottery tickets, and you can hope you pass Calf with an obvious illegal mod (like a cat). IMHO, both are stupid.

So...
feeling-lucky.png