Engine chatter

hardtarget870

Apr 11, 2009
Hello to all....I am new to this site and a proud owner of a 1967 coupe. Also, I fix helicopters in the Marine Corps for a living and try to work on cars on my free time, so I think I am good at turnin wrenches but dont know alot about stangs. I am working on pics but the car is not exactly "show ready." In reality, the car needs a lot of TLC. I just bought the car, it had been just sitting in the driveway for an unkown amount of time. The owner said he couldnt get it to run. I got the car to my house and changed the plugs because the #1 had arc'd the gap. After that, and a little chargin of the battery, the engine fires and runs...........with a horrible chatter that sounds like valve train noise. I took off the covers and found a few that were loose. I was wondering if I could just take the lash out by going to TDC taking out the lash and adding a 1/4 turn like I have read on this site or is that something you only do to a fresh build? According to my haynes manual I have hyd lifters. Is that correct? Thanks again and sorry for the long post.:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome!

I hate to be a downer, but what kind of "clatter" is it making? Did the PO say anything about why it got parked to begin with? For some reason, I'm thinking you have a motor that suffered a timing gear failure, with the resulting bent valves and pushrods to go with it.....
What motor is in the car? 289? 6 cyl?
If it is only that the lifters have deflated from sitting, they will pump them selves back up after running for a few minutes. Throw a can of seafoam in the oil, run it again, and then see how it does.

The PO said it was his daily driver and he deployed while the car sat and when he returned from deployment the car wouldnt start. The clatter sounds like marbles hitting a a hard flat surface. and it sounds more to the rear of the engine. My brother in law said that he had this problem with his van and just running it fixed the problem, I guess I didnt have the guts to keep running it with the noise. I will try again tomorrow with the seafoam. Thanks

most likely if the car sat for a long time the lifters are not pumping up. Dont adjust the valve lash until you determine if this is true or not. Running the motor may and may not fix the problem. If the valve dosent pump up you may have to remove and replace. Try running a good motor flush and change your oil. Dont get aggressive in the RPM, let the motor warm up on its own. Let us know what the out come is. good luck.

also if it doesn't fix it by running, try and pull them all out (keeping them numbered of course) and give it all a good clean. It could be that from sitting that the oil gunked up in the lifters and thats why they aren't expanding. If you take em out, clean it up with some carb cleaner, or a parts washer. Then let 'em soak in oil for a little bit and put em back in. This will also give you a chance to inspect everything, make sure nothings collapsed, overly wore out etc etc.

good luck!

Try running a good engine flush solvent through the engine, and change the oil. Lifters don't suddenly go out of adjustment, but sitting around can allow the oil to sludge up a turn the car into a hanger queen. Once your sure what you're dealing with, adjustment is a good idea, but use 3/4 turn from zero lash, and don't spin the rods to find this, move them vertically until all vertical movement is gone, then set your adjustment.

Adjusters can be dissasembled and cleaned, make sure they go back in the same bores or cam damage could result.

Don't make the mistake he did, if you have to leave the car sitting change the oil so it's stored clean.