Engine Ground Problem

iwashmycar

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
I am having a problem with a ground somewhere on the car.

First thing it did about 3 months ago was when I was driving my water temp and oil pressure gauges shot all the way up, along with my Autometer water temp gauge.

Then, about a month after that it wouldn't start after I stopped at a gas station. We thought it was the starter, had it towed, had the Ford dealership replace the starter (which they said was bad) and it turns out it wasn't. So, I am thinking it was this ground problem all along.

Now, the other day it did the same thing it did when we thought the starter went out. I just randomly remembered to try and ground it (connected jumper cables from negative battery cable to intake bolt) and it fired right up.

Gauges were maxing out again but I drove it anyways.

Next day it is fine again.

What on earth could this be? Should I just add another ground from the intake to somewhere?

Thanks,
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

I'd check the ground that goes to the block (on the front driver's side of the block. There is a bolt and nut facing the driver's side fender and a large battery cable that is the ground. Take the nut off and rub it clean with sandpaper. Also rub the other metal parts that the nut touches. Lastly, rub the cable end with sandpaper till it's clean.

This fixed my ground problem instantly a long while back. I learned that after washing the engine bay a couple times, my grounding would weaken, so now I clean the area up after each wash and no issues at all. I added another short battery cable from the negative battery terminal to the radiator support area (absolutely no problems for sure now).

I couldn't start my car either when the ground went too weak. Someone told me about the rolling start and sure enough it worked. All the while, my starter, alternator, and battery were in great shape. I'm sure a dealer or shop may have wanted me to get those replaced. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Take the nut off and rub it clean with sandpaper.

:eek:

Seriously, this was good advice. I'd add another motor ground. I chose to mimic that driver side ground, but used 4 AWG and installed it on the passenger side of the engine.

Good luck.

I will have to do that.

We replaced some ground on the driver's side from block to frame or fender I believe. I am not sure if it is the one you are talking about or not. It was only about 10" long but no where near the size of a battery cable. Little flat piece of metal wire.

I will have to do that.

We replaced some ground on the driver's side from block to frame or fender I believe. I am not sure if it is the one you are talking about or not. It was only about 10" long but no where near the size of a battery cable. Little flat piece of metal wire.

The ground on the driver's side is indeed a braided strap as I recall. It sounds like you found the right one.

The ground on the driver's side is indeed a braided strap as I recall. It sounds like you found the right one.

Hmm. I will have to check on it then because it was in fact replaced, but did the same thing out of no where. The car hasn't done it since this most recent time. Could be because I cleaned up the engine....maybe water got trapped or something.

I'll just have to watch that I guess.

Thanks for the help!! :nice:

I once had a nasty problem like yours on a trip to San Diego. It turns out it wasn't the ground, but the positive terminal off the fuse box (the one with the square shaped ring terminal). It had corroded in a single day enough to screw up the connection badly. I sanded it down, goo'd some electric grease into it and it was good to go.

BTW I'm pretty sure the motor has TWO grounds IIRC. :scratch:

Wes, that intake ground (if it was an orangy color) on a fox is for the HEGO grounds. I actually don't know where ours is; I'd look but I don't want to throw my back out. :rlaugh:

Our primary ground is indeed located adjacent the oil filter.

Thanks for the info HISSIN. You said you had another engine to firewall ground - I'll probably replace my braided wire and add a 2nd one in the next couple of weekends. I got bit by a bad ground on my '90 Mustang so I would rather add a 2nd ground at my convenience than wait for the ground to corrode inside the wire with the humid weather we have here. That's how the last one died - it looked fine from the outside but when I cut into it, it was pretty messed up.

Wes