Engine limiters, BF chain, or Torq limiters

speedy66

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2000
glendale,arizona,usa
Anyone run a bar or chain to limit the torqing motion of the motor on a street car.. some of my buddies run them on their race cars. But i had my hood off today and when i got on it.. it looked like i was going to rip my mounts apart. getting solid mounts is out for right now due to pricing..

I was just wondering if anyone runs a device to limit the torqing motion of their motors on street cars.. benefits or drawbacks?

• Sponsors (?)

Here is my very simple and easy hard ware store aquired torque strap:
t-strap2.jpg

I replaced the rear bolt on the sway bar with a close eye bolt and torqued that in. Then I used a bolt in the head and a ajustable tensioning rod in the middle with a closable c link on the bottom to make it easy to get in and out.

I think I spent $12 on this whole assembly.

dodgestang said:
t-strap2.jpg

I replaced the rear bolt on the sway bar with a close eye bolt and torqued that in. Then I used a bolt in the head and a ajustable tensioning rod in the middle with a closable c link on the bottom to make it easy to get in and out.

If those eyelets aren't welded shut, you may want to weld them up. I had one of those and I had to give it about a turn after every pass. Although it doesn't look as cool, strap steel and a piece of angle with a few bolts are the best deal.

1320stang said:
If those eyelets aren't welded shut, you may want to weld them up. I had one of those and I had to give it about a turn after every pass. Although it doesn't look as cool, strap steel and a piece of angle with a few bolts are the best deal.

I keep an eye on it, I haven't had any problems so far with the eye lets opening but thanks for the tip. I also tend to baby it a little bit so far though and it hasn't made it to the track yet.

speedy66 said:
question.. how much slack is there? none?

Unrelated but I have a question is that fuel filter after the pump or before the pump?

There is no slack in the strap I set up. I install it and then adjust it till its tight with the motor off.

The filter is before the pump. (its a mechanical fuel pump car)

When the car goes to the track if I have slicks it will aluch about 2800, if not, I will need to lauch at like 1000 or less to keep the tires from liquifing....I can imagine those high RPM lauches pulling this set up apart, but for a street/rare strip use car I think it does the trick nicely.

Bolt through the rubber mount will work wonders too. I used 2 large carriage bolts through the driver side mount. Ground the tops flat and welded the nuts on the backside. Has held strong for 5+ years or so now. Before that I ripped 2 mounts in under 200 miles.

If you have aluminum heads I would not be comfortable strapping the car with 'em... but that's just me.

dodgestang said:
t-strap2.jpg

Nick,
In all honesty that does not look like a fuel system that will support 400hp... I'll likely be proven wrong but you are starving that puppy. :shrug:

GT2K said:
Nick,
In all honesty that does not look like a fuel system that will support 400hp... I'll likely be proven wrong but you are starving that puppy. :shrug:

Jay you might be right....the fuel system prob the one area of the car I have not touched. I have a new tank and sender, and a new pump, but I am using the lines that were in the car when I got it.

Once I get finished with this dyno run I should be able to walk away with a good action plan for enhancements. I am getting a full air fuel set up so if I start leaning out on the top end I'll have a pretty good idea where to start looking bottlenecks.

dodgestang said:
Jay you might be right....the fuel system prob the one area of the car I have not touched. I have a new tank and sender, and a new pump, but I am using the lines that were in the car when I got it.

Once I get finished with this dyno run I should be able to walk away with a good action plan for enhancements. I am getting a full air fuel set up so if I start leaning out on the top end I'll have a pretty good idea where to start looking bottlenecks.

We had a Mallory Comp 140 electric fuel pump on my 289 with the dual 660's on the T-ram and it was running out of gas on the top end. No scoop, but we had a filter on it (since no scoop, flame arrestor is required) so the speed wasn't pulling it out the vents. Put a BG280 on it and it was fine. Now that exact same 140 is in the '68 coupe the motor is in now, but it only has 1 carb to feed, a ProSystems 830DP, and it seems to do fine.