Exhaust and sensor question

85Vertible

Jun 1, 2007
When upgrading to real headers and off road H pipe, will I have to add or move any sensors. Someone was telling me that you have to trick the computer to keep from throwing codes. Forgive me but I am new to non-4-eye Stangs.

This is a 1993 LX

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That is not true. Are you planning to run stock style shorty headers (poo) or Long tube headers (good)? If you are running the stock style shorty header you will have absolutely no problems with the O2 sensors. They will screw right into the bungs on the new Off Road H or X pipe you will buy and the engine will not throw any codes.

If you run the better Long Tube headers you are going to either purchase O2 Sensor extensions or make them yourself because the bungs for the O2's on Long Tubes are actually located on the header itself way down in the collector. Once you do this...no codes what so ever. You will have to buy an H pipe thats made for use with long tubes though. Good luck

There are no trick eliminators for the two O2 sensors on 86-93 Mustangs. Do not try to mickey mouse things and run without O2 sensors since they affect fuel economy and idle.

You will need to disconnect the two O2 sensors to drop the H pipe. Once it is off the car, remove the two sensors and re-install them on the new H pipe. If it has been some time since the O2 sensors have been replaced, this would be a good time to replace them.

Thanks for the good news.... Right now I am thinking of getting the Pypes Violator mufflers and a Off Road X pipe. I am not in a hurry so feel free to comment on the combo if you like.

As far as the long tube headers go, I like them and have used them of 2 other four-eye Stangs. I ran into a problem with heat soaking the starter and also having to "shim" the drivers side motor mount to clear steering parts. If I knew I could avoid those problems I would do longs tubes in a second but for now I think the shorties will be better for me.