Exhaust sound difference.

Itkix

Mar 9, 2009
Does anyone think the mod. motor exhaust sounds better and louder than the 5.0, I have full length headers,mac h pipe, and 44 flows and still cant get the sound I like, had a 96 with h-pipe and flows and to me it sounded way better whats the difference?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

the 4.6 motors are louder...atleast it seems that way from my experience. A 5.0 will never sound like a 4.6....but some good heads and a cam can dramatically change how a 5.0 will sound.

I remember the first time i heard a 03/04 cobra or a Mach 1 downshift with a full exhaust on it....those 4.6 DOHC are orgasmic. :drool:

To answer your question, they will never sound the same. Different heads, different air flow, its not even remotely close to the same technology.

I think the 4.6 has a "burble" for lack of a better word. The 5.0 does not.

Although they do have the same firing order...

Adam

i agree with the OP. mod motors do sound better IMO. a stock 96-04 sohc car and a stock 5.0 with the same exact exhaust definitely sounds different. they both sound great but the 4.6 just has a sharper, raspier, louder sound - which is what i love. as for dohc's : i could listen to that sound all day long ( my fav = 03/04 cobra w/ longtubes, o/r x and borla stinger catback :drool: )

mod motors move more air (higher lift cams, better design intake and exhaust track and I believe a little higher compression) so the exhaust should be different. I had 4 series on my 2001 with the stock H and what pretty loud. Close to my 94 with magnaflows with an off road h.

I would much rather sound good than be fast, remember you can always sound good but you cant go fast all the time, guess I should have went mod. motor, but have to live with it. When I have always thought of mustangs I think of the sound, nothing like it.

I would much rather sound good than be fast, remember you can always sound good but you cant go fast all the time, guess I should have went mod. motor, but have to live with it. When I have always thought of mustangs I think of the sound, nothing like it.

Yeah I would have probably done some research before buying the car. The only thing that may slightly edge you towards the sound you are looking for is an x pipe. It will at least be alot closer than an H.

More air = louder

So if you have a little dinky 260rwhp 5.0 don't expect it to be loud unless you run open headers or no mufflers. Put a good HCI on it and you will drown out a mod motor.

This x1000

Mine sounds freaking rediculous vs. the local 4.6 cars, esp with the lts/x/flows with tailpipes combo. The x seems to give it a tinny sound wich I just love. My brothers h/c/i cobra with an h and dumped spintechs just sounds downright nasty with the cam

I think the OP thing on really applies to near stock cars. The 5.0s always seem to sound more rough and tumble. Do love a 4v though, but I hate how they sound like theyre running underwater.

I've always had this same outlook on sound, but could never manage to provoke any discussion:nonono:

Unlike most, my first experience hearing a mustang was a modular, and I fell in love with that sound. Now I'm not saying my 5.0 sounds like an ls1 or anything, it still sounds excellent, but different. The modulars just sound... volatile, aggressive, angry? This comes from the configuration of the motor, period. The style can be changed with different exhaust setups, but that basic sound remains. 5.0s have their own sound, more rowdy, grunty and breathy (Im making up adjectives.. but you get the idea :p). If you change the configuration of the motor (h/c/i, forced induction) and therefore the behaviour of air through the engine, you will alter the sound, but won't get it to sound like a different motor.

Long story short, the 5.0 was in my price range, sounds bad ass, and has so many positives to it. I've learned to accept I won't get that modular sound, so I don't even try ;)

More air = louder

So if you have a little dinky 260rwhp 5.0 don't expect it to be loud unless you run open headers or no mufflers. Put a good HCI on it and you will drown out a mod motor.

Exactly. If you're not happy with the sound of your 5.0, then you haven't put enough motor in front of that exhaust. 4.6s sound good, but it's hard to make good power with a small bore motor without forced induction.

Kurt

When I first got the car after having a 96&98 I was like what's wrong with this thing it doesn't sound good, ripped off the 40 flows put on 44's still not right, ripped off the x-pipe,put on h sounded better, but like I said not as good as 98.O well.

More air = louder

This isnt a volume problem. Its the tone of the exhaust. Because....96-98 stangs are his comparison. Not the 99+ that make more power.

I like the 5.0 over the 2valve 4.6s....but the 4 valve 4.6s take the cake. :hail2: