explorer intake

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the 97 Explorer upper will fit directly onto your GT40 lower. Yes, there are some "box" style uppers that fit the GT40 lower but they are meant for blower applications.

Bottom line - Yes and Yes

COMP cams has an upper that bolts onto 5.0L lower (stock) in the jegs catalog and it drops
"3/10" off your quarter mile time, it is a box type like stated before.
Paul Perreca

Oh, by "GT" he meant his car, not an GT intake lower - in that case you are right, the Explorer upper will not fit on a stock lower. CarTech (I think) makes a box upper for the stock lower intake.

Alright. I looked around a little and found that Comp Polymers sells their "Powerbox" upper. It is a plastic intake and from the reviews I've read, I would not put it on my car. It's almost as much money as a complete upper/lower intake of any other brand and much more expensive than going with an explorer upper/lower. From what I read the Comp plastic piece bulges and leaks from the gaskets if you run boost. Other than that, it's just plain ugly IMHO.

My buddy had the Comp Polymer Box on his supercharged 302. It was junk. It would flex, leak and make noises. The Explorer intake you found...is it just the upper? Or can you get the lower? I am running the Explorer upper/lower on my 347. And before you ask why the Explorer on the 347, I was on a budget. The 347 was $200 more to build than the 306. I can always get another intake, I only wanted to build an engine once, lol.

Most EFI cars don't make the kind of RPM's needed to really utilize the short runners of a box intake much less one with a stock lower. How did we get into box intakes anyway? For most applications they are kind of worthless......