Feed back on my Saddle Sub

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Remember this anomaly?
mustangbuild378.jpg

I had dubbed this concoction my saddle sub.

After running for the last year w/ a rear firing sub in my trunk, Installing the rear mount AC system forced me to make room for it elsewhere. building the requisite .5 cu ft. box and placing in in what was left of the trunk meant that there'd be no trunk left. And while I like my music, I'm not gonna give up what little remains I have left for a stupid subwoofer.

Others have deleted their entire rear seat to solve this issue, but again,..I'm not that guy. Despite the fact that nobody can comfortably sit in a regular fox, w/ the roll bar, and my seat tracks extended to accommodate my 36" inseam, nobody will ever sit back there in my car.

Now I know that your thinking that if nobody is ever gonna be able to sit back there, what's the big deal? Get rid of the rear seat and do a rear seat delete.

I already did that. It's called a roll bar. All that rear seat is is a "rear seat delete" that's upholstered to match my front seats.:rolleyes: It gives the impression of a seat,....that's the point.

So,...what to do w/ my sub? The original plan was to make two "truck boxes" and put one sub each behind each front seat, in front or my rear seat delete. After making some geometrical calculations, and adding some basic algebra ( Is that the math thats used to determine cu. ft.?) I determine the size of the box and get to building box one out of 1/2" MDF. Once done, and despite the fact that I checked the rough dimensions from a mock up,...the finished box would not allow my seat to go back the last inch I wanted it to.
mad.gif

So I relegate myself to having one sub, and move it over to the passenger side. I decided at this time to recheck my volume calculations because that is how I roll,...build it first, THEN see if it fits. Optimum volume for this particular sub is min .5 cu ft, max 1.4 cu ft.

OK, L X W X H ( subtracting an inch from each dimension for board thickness) and I get .35 cu ft...................................................................................................................................:bang:

And some may wonder why my friends call me "Do it twice Mike":shrug:

I ain't doing it twice. That sucker is gonna have to work as is I say to myself out loud. But the little do it right white angel pops up on my shoulder and says: "let's think about this for a minute shall we?"
"All you really need is another .15 cu ft. Seems to me you could build another "slave" box and put it behind your seat. Then you could tie the two together w/ some sort of tube, and Viola! .5 cu ft!"
STFU stupid gay white angel I thought.
But he was right, so that's what I did.

So that brings me to this minute. People wanted to know how this thing sounds given there are two linked chambers.

F uckin Killer. It needs to be qualified that I own an A/V business, and have worked around sound for 30 years,.. So I have a set of ears. When I say it sounds good, I mean it sounds good!
I don't know whether to feel sorry for my passenger for getting his back bone pounded, or envious of him for the constant massage he'll be receiving when I play some Los Lonely Boys

The slave box offers a slight resonance reinforcement like a passive woofer would, so it actually helps the hit.
So bottom line of this report (for those that skipped straight to here):nice::nice:

• Sponsors (?)

whoa whoa, your a/c box is in the trunk? why?
Rusty, you need to watch more Mike TV. You cant come into the show in the middle and ask what the hell the story line is all about.

I have a Vintage air "cool only" evaporator in my trunk, behind my back seat. I did that because I wanted to clean up my firewall, and (since there is a big assed 4.6 in there) wanted to be able to pull a valve cover or even the whole engine w/o blowing the charge to do so.
Read all about it in my build thread,...I just posted the AC update a few days ago.

Noobz Cliffnotes:

Mike has really long legs to accommodate saggy balls.
30 years in, "The Business" has given him some disproportionately large ears.
The box don't fit.
He likes to blow cool air up his rear end.
The End

Reactions: 1 user
We need a hi def video (with sound) before we can believe your crazy redneck ass.
I don't have any of the stuff you require to substantiate my claim. You will just have to wait until the next time I get a wild ass hair to go to Iowa w/ the car to hear it for yourself.
On second thought,..... I'll never have a reason to visit your corn fed, hayseed ass, Iowa's not even a good place to visit.

Noobz Cliffnotes:

Mike has really long legs to accommodate saggy balls.
30 years in, "The Business" has given him some disproportionately large ears.
The box don't fit.
He likes to blow cool air up his rear end.
The End

Noobz, you are not allowed to cliff note me. You are just jealous of my ball busting, back crushing saddle sub, and my brain freezing AC system.:p

I don't have any of the stuff you require to substantiate my claim. You will just have to wait until the next time I get a wild ass hair to go to Iowa w/ the car to hear it for yourself.
On second thought,..... I'll never have a reason to visit your corn fed, hayseed ass, Iowa's not even a good place to visit.
What!? Iowa is a great place to visit! We got the........Iowa Cubs..........and and and...............ah fuk it. You're right....

I'm glad to hear that it works well. My first impression was that it was going to resonate at some odd frequency and sound awful. Acoustics and optical are two areas missing from my technical education, so I hum a few bars. Like much of the rest of the world, I stick with the out of the box stuff in those area. Sometimes its nice to be wrong about something unconventional...

Iowa is great, thank you. We house Nightmare Motorsports who crammed a Viper V-10 into an SN95, amongst other things. We now have the Iowa Speedway (I went there once), AND the Field of Dreams still draws in 2.35 people per week. So you bring your super crazy 19-something fox classic on up here, and lets have a listen. I am way off the beating path from Council-tucky though, over by Nile Kinnick's playground.

Rusty, you need to watch more Mike TV. You cant come into the show in the middle and ask what the hell the story line is all about.

I have a Vintage air "cool only" evaporator in my trunk, behind my back seat. I did that because I wanted to clean up my firewall, and (since there is a big assed 4.6 in there) wanted to be able to pull a valve cover or even the whole engine w/o blowing the charge to do so.
Read all about it in my build thread,...I just posted the AC update a few days ago.

well :poo:! my bad lol.

I believe in rolling the windows down haha. But i know your an old fart and gots to have your "luxuries" and such.

Does that A/C system fully function yet Mike?
Yes, it works pretty good. I wouldn't consider it as good as the factory system, but it does a good enough job to cool the car at +85 degrees ambient temp in city traffic. The " custom" vents are the problem. They cant be oriented truly forward, so It gets real comfy in an area right between the two front seats. If I would've used the dorky surface mount vents that were supposed to mount on the package tray, that truly fired forward, it might have worked a little better. On the plus side, The engine runs at 180. I have the cooling system doing it's job so far. I only have about 6 hours run time on it since installing the system, and no real time on the interstate, but I'm confident that it'll work great there.