FI conversion

txstang84

15 Year Member
May 21, 2005
Tuscola, tx
Hey y'all, I just recently finished up my FI conversion and I must say, it is awesome! The throttle response is nothing short of phenomenal.

I really wanted more than anything to say thanks to all who've been a big help during the entire process which began quite a while back during the acquisition of parts, etc: Tmoss for the wiring diagrams, and pinouts for the harness; jrichker for all the possible troubleshooting, and proper grounding, etc.,ect.; and all the rest of you guys who've posted your solutions for things which you've run into in the past couple of years. Also thanks to good friends for loaning of money, time, parts, and patience

Without input from this site, friends, and fordfuelinjection.com, my project probably never would've made it between my fenderwells! Onto the more technical related stuff...this is the current setup. Trust me it will change, but for now, it's working like a champ!

stock '91 tank
155lph pump-with brazed AN fittings on the pump module (-8 pressure, -6 return)
stainless braided lines from the tank to the rail-inline hi pressure filter
stock 87-93 rail
stock 19lb'ers
cobra intake
70mm TB
73mm C&L MAF
Kirban FPR @ 42psi
ALL NEW SENSORS!
eBay sourced A9L ECM
custom ECM harness (by yours truly-with much help from tmoss' diagrams)
302 refurb'd w/130k; balanced
GT40 irons w/3 angle valve job
lunati 51014 cam
FRPP clutch
3.73's (soon to have cobra 31 spline carrier and new superior axles)

If any of you guys have any helpful tips or hints as to tweaking, or keeping things up, please post...everything seems to be going quite well with it for right now though.

The only "issues" I have at the moment are the idle is kinda high (about 1000), and the charge has dropped down to about 13.5v instead of the 14+ I was used to. Does this sound about right? Or should I be looking to get more? I didn't change anything with the charging system, but I'm currently running a 105amp 3G alt with a 4ga charge cable...battery is in the hatch.

Thanks again guys-most of you probably never knew I was using your posts as input, but thanks all the same!

• Sponsors (?)

I am glad to see someone suceed in bucking the trend to go carb. Maybe you can teach some of these guys to think more carefully about their choices.

Well, I already was carbed, and drove it like that for nigh on 12 years...I got sick and tired of dealing with vapor lock, or having to rebuild it every 10k to reset the floats, and replace all the seals.

Mostly though, I was fed up with setting the choke and letting the thing warm up for a minimum of 5 minutes when it was below 40*...while everyone was driving away, I was still waiting for it to be at least drivable. Then came the mileage...or should I say lack thereof-I won't even get into it.

I have so much better throttle response and I've been told to expect much better mileage. The guy I got the shortblock from said after replacing his O2 sensors, he would usually get 24 on the highway-and that was @70 with 4.10's!

I have however managed to keep two or three of my good friends from going carb'd...they were pretty much sold, purely on the cold drivability factor.