Fiberglass on either 65 or 66

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
I'm planning on getting a street style racing apron without the spoiler and a cowl hood. These are made of fiberglass and I need to know what the fit is like. The only threads I've found are for 67 and above...so i'm asking for anyone with a 65 or 66 how they fit...preferably a 66 because thats the year I have. I need to know where the best place to buy them from is...directly from the company or from a place such as mustangs plus? I cant find the cowl hood on any direct company website so I may have to get that from mustangs plus. So where is the best place to get these parts from that will fit the best? And how hard are they to install?

• Sponsors (?)

Ive got a 66 myself, and ive got a fiberglass racing apron and a fiberglass hood but so far i havent attached `em yet. I just ordered mine from Mustangs Plus because they had, from what i saw, the cheapest price. It looks like on the front apron that you have to drill your own holes but they look like good quality. I haven't recieved my hood yet, but i bought it from mustangdepot.com

Garrettn

I have a 67 style hood on my 66 and a street apron. Both pieces are from Maeir Racig (same place Mustangs Plus gets theirs from). The fit is just OK. The hood is gonna require some work to get it to fit perfectly (not enough curvature to match the fenders in the front, and a low spot in rear corner). The apron took a little work to get on and also doesn't match perfectly. The only other fiberglass supplier I've puchased from is Unlimited Products and all i can say is AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE !!!!

http://www.maierracing.com/earlymodelmaierindex.html

Don't know that M+ is selling Maier racing stuff or not, but I wouldn't buy anything made by Maier lately (They used to have a good name).

I have a 3" cowl hood from Mustang Depot (Fiberglass Specialties) , a Maier Trunk lid and Brandt Street Apron.

ALL of these parts took some messaging and prep work to make right. But by far the worst was Maier.

If you're looking for perfect fiberglass out of the box, Forget it! It ALL takes work. :shrug:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/368495/8

My (Maier) fiberglas hood is hanging on my garage wall because it has a slight warp on the driver's side in the center and it drove me crazy to look at it bowing up while I drove (admittedly, it probably wouldn't bother most normal people). I think I'd graft a scoop onto a factory hood. That's how FRPP did it on their 65 5.0L Cammer Fastback. Benefits are factory springs, factory latch, factory fit.

Bottom line, don't expect anything close to perfection from Fiberglas.