Finally finished my Fox TB swap!!! DUW

illwood

Apr 3, 2004
Worcester, MA
Wohoo! I finally finished my intake and fox TB swap on my '94.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

When I got the last of it together, I warmed it up a bit, did an oilchange by flashlight. Then shelled out some $$ to fill the tank and went to the touch-free carwash.

I even went as far as to replace the cruise cable with a fox unit, so I have a Fox TB setup with functional cruise. :D

I kept a decent photographic record of the teardown and haven't taken any yet for the buildup. Here are some of the process and I'll snap a few tomorrow and post them to this thread of the completed job.

Stock setup:
Stock-Setup.jpg

Fender off for cruise servo access:
Inside-Fender02.jpg

Cruise servo with fox cable:
Inside-Fender01.jpg

Holes for mechanical Oil Press. and Water Temp gauges:
Holes.jpg

I'll post the rest later.

Attachments

• Stock-Setup.jpg
    Stock-Setup.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Inside-Fender02.jpg
    Inside-Fender02.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Inside-Fender01.jpg
    Inside-Fender01.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 78
  • Holes.jpg
    Holes.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Sponsors (?)

cool.

Hows it feel with that intake? its overkill right now but if you plan on upgrading in the future to a stroker/boost why buy twice right. i have a typhoon that i'm gonna put on.

i still have to put on my cruise control cable. i dont use cruise but i would like it to be able work again.

i bet you had a nice grin on your face with the new throttle response eh?

Great Job Matt :banana:

Pretty big project with taking the fender off and all :eek:

Looked at the pics and here is a little tip for you :)

Got an engineer type friend who knows all about air flow in pipes and such.

He brought home some equip from work over the weekend several years ago. We rigged up a flow tester with a flow meter and tested different kinds of pipe, connectors, 45/90 bends and other stuff you might use to build an air intake setup.

Convoluted pipe always tested poorly when we did our testing :notnice:

You may wanna find some smooth pipe when you can get around to it.

btw, K&N's do in fact flow more air than other cone filters :D

Grady

Yeah I was gonna say ditch that elbow ASAP. A bend like that is a critical component and you want to keep your flow nice and laminar going through there.

BUT, good job on doing the swap the right way:SNSign:

Dan95-5.0 said:
Hows it feel with that intake? its overkill right now but if you plan on upgrading in the future to a stroker/boost why buy twice right. i have a typhoon that i'm gonna put on.

i bet you had a nice grin on your face with the new throttle response eh?
:D Of course I was grinning. I know the intake is overkill, but it was brand new and cheap off eBay. I don't notice any low end problems with the intake.
Stangfreak95 said:
You didnt have to remove the whole fender to get access to the cruise control unit. Just the inner plastic fender was enough...But you did and succeeded so thats what counts.
It was worth it having the fender off to cut the holes for the gauge lines, but good info for others wanting to keep cruise with the swap.
RIO5.0 said:
Good deal Matt...:nice: You liking it???
I'm LOVING it! Thanks for all of your posts on the Fox TB swap.
final5-0 said:
Looked at the pics and here is a little tip for you :)

Got an engineer type friend who knows all about air flow in pipes and such.

He brought home some equip from work over the weekend several years ago. We rigged up a flow tester with a flow meter and tested different kinds of pipe, connectors, 45/90 bends and other stuff you might use to build an air intake setup.

Convoluted pipe always tested poorly when we did our testing :notnice:

You may wanna find some smooth pipe when you can get around to it.

btw, K&N's do in fact flow more air than other cone filters :D

Grady
Thanks for the info Grady, but the rubber elbow isn't my permanent solution. It's only a temp thing until I fab up a bend out of some aluminum tube. BTW, it was a cheap way out because it was the former STOCK intake tube after a little razor blade modification. Basically, I was impatient to get it on the road and needed to mock it up anyway to figure out out my future aluminum one so that I get to keep my strut tower brace.

In summary, thanks to everyone that has ever posted on the issue of the Fox TB swap, either answering questions or asking good ones. I'm also running Fox EGR and made a cap for my EGR bung in my header until I put fox headers on the car.

:SNSign:

Throttle response feels better, but I'm hesitant on the SOTP dyno because I've been driving my Bronco for a few months now.

The throttle is more touchy, but that makes sense going from a 58mm TB to a 70mm TB.

I think it looks good too, thanks.

BTW, just noticed that stupid M$ photo-editor didn't make my pics the right size, so I'm going to fix that.