Finished prototype Mustang disc brake spindles

• Sponsors (?)

Stang89LXCPE said:
what are they for (brakes) do they feature differant ride heights? I guess I don't understand. Looks like a nice granada spindle

They are Granada type reproductions. The next generation will be 65-66 specific, then maybe drop spindles, and perhaps late model caliper capable.

degins said:
I will be receiving these machined 65-73 prototypes this week! If specs are met production will start this month. Then on to the 65-66 specific model.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1018497/finishedleftsized.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1018497/finished2leftsized.jpg

Will these be for steet use or off road use (performance)?

If street use what type of testing will you do before they are offered for sale?

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Historic,
The prototypes will get a full metallurgical, Xray, and dimensional analysis . Production pieces will get lot metallugical, Xray, and dimensional analysis. All pieces will get acoustical and dimensional analysis.

If you are of the type to insist on use testing, then you will be disappointed. I believe in the more scientific and managable approach of setting specifications based on engineering principles and then testing to insure compliance to those specs.

Historic is right, if a wheel falls off, it's not going to be easy to stay in control or even on the wheels you have left. Something as critical as a spindle needs to be able to be trusted. I was going to ask about heat treating, how the parts are going to be assured of being free of defects. The more info and development I see on the part though gives me confidence that degins knows what he's doing, and is doing what the factory would. I would feel more safe seeing destructive testing done on a whole bunch though, to see some repeatable performance.

68rustang said:
My point was Historic has asked degins that same question on every board degins has been posting on. Each time degins gives him the same answer.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute. If degins is going to post the information on multiple boards, then historic has the right to post the same question on multiple boards. I appreciate the fact that he did, as Stangnet is the only board that I frequent on a regular basis.

Not intending to be negative here but as long as were playing devils advocate Id like to add if anything under there breaks at speed its going to be ugly, how come no one is concerned about cheap chineese control arms and spring perches etc? Or the trend of trusting aluminum wheel spacers with studs pressed in for attaching your late model wheels? Take a good look, does it look like the guy is cutting corners and making junk? Using common sense do you think these spindles, built using modern day methods and metalurgy and machining are going to weaker than the teeny work hardened 40yr old crap youre using? If it passes acoustical and x ray testing Id place money on it being better than a part thats been stressed and pounded thru potholes for 4 decades. How many of you have run a junkyard spindle thats been thru who knows what kind of life or what the accident history was without question? That makes me more nervous than what degins is doing.

They look 100% better than welded steel spindles from I bought from Fatman at great expense. I couldn't get any response from Fatman about engineering principles used in his design or testing to determine they were strong enough to take the stresses involved.

No way I am running Fatman spindles on my car even if he has sold thousands of them.

degins said:
Historic,
The prototypes will get a full metallurgical, Xray, and dimensional analysis . Production pieces will get lot metallugical, Xray, and dimensional analysis. All pieces will get acoustical and dimensional analysis.

If you are of the type to insist on use testing, then you will be disappointed. I believe in the more scientific and managable approach of setting specifications based on engineering principles and then testing to insure compliance to those specs.

Ok, I'm not an engineer or a metallurgist, So could you give a little more detail on what these tests are for and what they accomplish? I'm sure that you are a good engineer and metallurgist, but sometimes principles are all fine and good, but there maybe a something that happens that you didn't plan for or consider. That's where the road testing comes into play, to be completely honest, they are very nice looking pieces, but without actual road worthiness testing, I wouldn't put them on my car. After all, the major car manufacturers all have engineers, but they also have proving grounds just in case anything should go wrong it's not out on the road being tested by the consumers.

i still wouldent trust them unless they were road tested. each and every part made now days and in the past was and is tested before being sold. i would trust a 40+ year old spindal over the new one because they have had 40+ years of testing and nothing has happened to them. also if your going to repoduce spindals why granda and not say the 70 mustang spindals which by far are the best because they are beefier