Firewall to engine ground strap?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
When I did cars as a younger man we always added a firewall to engine ground strap usually one of the heavier braided straps you see for sale at the auto parts store...
I really can't see any good spots or larger bolts on my Fox firewall to attach one to.....
Is this done to a fox body and if so, where is everyone attaching it to??
Thanks for any ideas here...

• Sponsors (?)

Stock fox has that tiny braided line on the drives side near the speedo cable hole. At least the EFI cars do

I upgraded mine to a 4G cable with crimped ends. One end to a bolt to the back of the head, the other to the original mounting location, but with a larger bolt and more contact area.

One good ground is better than multiple grounds with suspect contact points to avoid what is known as ground loops.

Reactions: 2 users
Stock fox has that tiny braided line on the drives side near the speedo cable hole. At least the EFI cars do

I upgraded mine to a 4G cable with crimped ends. One end to a bolt to the back of the head, the other to the original mounting location, but with a larger bolt and more contact area.

One good ground is better than multiple grounds with suspect contact points to avoid what is known as ground loops.
I will take a look at that area..... Thank you

You asked for ideas so here's mine. On my avatar '89 I made the entire frame a ground plane. I welded a solid bar w/two 3/8" studs to the frame and ran the Neg batt cable to one then ran a 4ga cable from the block to the other stud. Welded a plate with studs to the other frame rail also and ran another 4ga cable from that side of the block to the studs. Any other factory grounds on the car were all run to a ground bar which was grounded to the frame stud. I've done this on every car I've ever built and have never had a ground issue.

2boltgroundconnector.jpg

P7230002.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
When I did cars as a younger man we always added a firewall to engine ground strap usually one of the heavier braided straps you see for sale at the auto parts store...
I really can't see any good spots or larger bolts on my Fox firewall to attach one to.....
Is this done to a fox body and if so, where is everyone attaching it to??
Thanks for any ideas here...
i think i did this but its been awhile , i will have to look, i did it on my bronco but it of course isnt the same...

You asked for ideas so here's mine. On my avatar '89 I made the entire frame a ground plane. I welded a solid bar w/two 3/8" studs to the frame and ran the Neg batt cable to one then ran a 4ga cable from the block to the other stud. Welded a plate with studs to the other frame rail also and ran another 4ga cable from that side of the block to the studs. Any other factory grounds on the car were all run to a ground bar which was grounded to the frame stud. I've done this on every car I've ever built and have never had a ground issue.

2boltgroundconnector.jpg

P7230002.jpg
Now I like that!

Bill

I " think " what I might do is drill a hole in the firewall and attach the wire with a larger diameter ( 5/16 ) self tapper.. Waiting for a ground strap to play with....

Here’s mine. Hard to see but I replaced the original braided strap with 4g welding cable. One end is bolted to the back of drivers side head and the other bolts to the firewall in original spot. This is just next to the clutch cable

B829759C-8544-4120-A175-9E5F96B601CE.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s mine. Hard to see but I replaced the original braided strap with 4g welding cable. One end is bolted to the back of drivers side head and the other bolts to the firewall in original spot. This is just next to the clutch cable

B829759C-8544-4120-A175-9E5F96B601CE.jpeg
Thanks.... I will look again, but I don't think my 83 has this ....

Your stang likely did not have a ground in that location, I think it is an EFI thing.
Can't hurt to add one but beware of 'ground strap overkill'.
Yeah, it's a thing :rolleyes:
If not it should be.
I hear you General.... I was thinking the same thing about it being an EFI thing...
Back in the day, the tales always went that for the engine to get ground ( Without a firewall ground ) it had to travel all the way down the transmission, the driveline then into the rear end housing to finally get to the body/frame........

Last edited:
I " think " what I might do is drill a hole in the firewall and attach the wire with a larger diameter ( 5/16 ) self tapper.. Waiting for a ground strap to play with....

The stock engine ground wire on my 85 attaches to the firewall about 1-1/4" (towards the driver's side of the car) from the 3/4" heater core hose, at the same height as the heater hoses.

I can get a pic if you need one.