First Build

Porting is not something to try your luck at. The price he quoted to do my explorer lower was under $200, and you can be assured it is done right and there was a very quick turn around time, I want to say it was within a week. You can google tmoss porting and see what I mean.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey I have a bnib mass air conversion kit I bought from lrs. Thought I needed it for project horse manure but turns out it already had been converted. .

Reactions: 1 user
Port job will run about 300$ You could sell the intake and buy a Holley systemax or edelbrock rpmII(they match up well). Look for a used TFS1 cam(they sell for around 100$) buy some new pushrods,roller rockers,and timing chain. With new Fel pro gaskets and arp head bolts. While its apart it's a good idea to replace the water pump and harmonic balancer.
300$ was what I was quoted at least.

Port job will run about 300$ You could sell the intake and buy a Holley systemax or edelbrock rpmII(they match up well). Look for a used TFS1 cam(they sell for around 100$) buy some new pushrods,roller rockers,and timing chain. With new Fel pro gaskets and arp head bolts. While its apart it's a good idea to replace the water pump and harmonic balancer.
300$ was what I was quoted at least.
Nah man, the port job was well under $200! I just asked a couple months ago when I was planning on messing with the 302 in the car. No reason to spend more money on an intake than necessary.

Here ya go, The price difference is shipping a lower intake costs some $$.

http://www.tmossporting.0catch.com/
It's been some years but he did my ho lower. After a new windage tray, porting, and shipping it ended up costing somewhere between $200-$300 I can't remeber exactly. I did a before and after dyno and it picked up 18 rear horse.

It's been some years but he did my ho lower. After a new windage tray, porting, and shipping it ended up costing somewhere between $200-$300 I can't remeber exactly. I did a before and after dyno and it picked up 18 rear horse.
Good gains, it seems the only way to do those heads justice... So the question is ported explorer intake or something totally aftermarket...

Good gains, it seems the only way to do those heads justice... So the question is ported explorer intake or something totally aftermarket...
Depends on the money situation. If money's not a biggie I'd go for a brand new aftermarket something or another. Wait until Moss gets back to you and figure out a total price, shipping and all and compare that to what you are finding on the used market. Not so long ago I was going to do a new topend w tfs 170's. I contacted mr moss and he said that he could port an explorer lower to where the intake would flow similar to the trick flow "street heat" intake (I think it's called the "street burner" now). Shop around first but if you have a $300ish budget for the intake having it ported is probably going to be the best bang for buck.

Here yall go, I dug through my email and found a quote from T Moss in regards to having an explorer lower ported. Don't forget to add the shipping cost to send it to em. So yeah it'll be about $300
<[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, March 7, 2014 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: Pricing for porting gt40 intake.

You think it could out do the street burner?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 7, 2014, at 9:47 AM, Thomas Moss <[email protected]> wrote:
You just need the elbow. Here is a quote. It normally takes 4-5 business days to get the intake in the mail back to you. Shipping to us is arranged by you – UPS, FedEx or other carrier. Charges:
  • Labor for porting GT40 style lower intake you send us for TW 170 heads (1250 size port w 3/8"r corners) - $175
  • Option: Solvent tank, R&R oil baffle(s) bead blast, coat with 500°F ceramic engine enamel - $35 (see attached picture)
  • Return insured shipping - $30(Add $5 for Mountain or Eastern Time Zone and add $10 for Pacific Time Zone) or purchase a return shipping label from the carrier when you ship and place it in the box with the money order.USPS stamps are NOTacceptable as it has always cost me more to return ship than the amount of postage stamps sent (USPS issue).
If it’s used, car wash high pressure spray works well to clean up the intake so that we can port it. If it’s gunky and you don’t take the optional cleanup, we will return it possibly with some shavings still stuck in the gunk for you to clean. Please remove all sensors, gaskets, and the thermostat housing.
IMPORTANTMoney Order or Cashier’s Check is payment method made out to Matt Moss (NOT Tom Moss or tmoss), shipped with the intake or separate. With payment, send us a copy of this email with your name, return mailing address and all contact info written on it somewhere so that we have it on one sheet of paper – it stays with the intake in the shop and tells us what to do and where to return it. Thanks for asking!

Matt & Tom Moss
3628 Coriander Dr
St Charles, MO 63303

Last edited: