first the twin turbo V6 Mustang, then this...

DBMSTNG

I fantasize about it being BIG!
Founding Member
Apr 23, 2002
not quite here
So as some of you know, i've got a few friends in the publication business. one friend of mine forwarded this article from the next issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.

Return of the Mustang SVO!

Hot on the heals of the Eco-Boost twin turbo V6 rumors, editors from MM&FF and sister publication 5.0 Magazine have recently learned of the next special edition Mustang headed to your local Ford Dealer. For MY 2010, Ford plans to reintroduce the fabled Mustang SVO. Sort of… If you’ve never heard of the Mustang SVO, you’re probably not alone. Only 9,844 of these turbocharged 2.3L Inline-4 powered pony cars were produced from 1984 to 1986. Rated at 175-200bhp depending on model year, these cars were devised as a more fuel friendly alternative to it’s torquier V8 brethren, which leads us to the next-gen turbo four banger. This time around, the I4 Mustang will be badged “GTS”. The new GTS is powered by a stroked version of the Mazda 2.3L Duratec motor found in the MazdaSpeed 3 & 6 that sports 2.5L of displacement. According to Ford President and CEO Alan Mulally, “The all new Mustang GTS represents a step forward for Ford and the Mustang line. It allows us to reach a larger audience than previous Mustangs. With it’s high output 4 cylinder engine, we are able to achieve near V8 performance while achieving over 30mpg highway. This will allow us to not only broaden our market base to the growing import-tuner crowd with a below GT msrp, but the eco-conscious looking for a more sporting ride. This engine allows us to meet the increasing government fuel mileage restrictions and preserve the Mustang heritage.” The 2.5L is rumored to produce 280bhp and 300+ft/lbs of torque with 10.5psi. What we here at MM&FF are left wondering, will it be accepted? Or face the same demise as the SVO? Stay tuned.

would you buy a new turbo 4 Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

but I don't know that I'd buy a press release like that on April 1st ;)

agreed:)

hypothetically though? i'd have to drive one of course but i'd probably buy one. 2.5 liters may not sound like enough to move a pig like the new Mustang but if Volvo can make a turbocharged 208hp 2.5L engine move a behemoth like an AWD 7-seater XC90 SUV without making it an absolute dog i think it's enough to move a car 900lbs lighter

the 2.4 liter T5 S60's (full size family car) make 257hp and they can easily get out of their own way. the 300hp 2.5L S60R's are pretty quick as well

I'd buy the Shelby CS6 if it wasn't overpriced... but that's S/C'd...

*EDIT* Don't forget Ford moved the factory that makes the Mustang frame to the US and is working on a new light weight version

Hopefully they will remember the handling aspect.
Not only did the SVO have the get up and go for it's time, it is still one of the better handling mustangs to date.

Would like to see the final setup before I make my decision.

Not a chance I would buy a new mustang with a 4cyl turbo. I've got an 88 mustang with the 2.3 turbo and love it, but it's a hell of a lot lighter than the newer mustang.

Can you give a better source? What issue of MM&FF and what page?

What I look forward to seeing is the twin turbo V6 mustang. :D That will have more torque than an NA 4.6 and will make more power without even breaking a sweat. What's great about turbo cars, is how well they respond to mods. :D A better intercooler, a few more lbs of boost, better exhaust and you could have an extra 75hp.

So the turbo 4 cyl is probably going to have less tq than the v6 in a car that weighs what?.... 3500lbs.

Put a turbo 2.3 in a Focus and let the bee-boppers buy them. Friggin new Camaro has 400hp. Put a 5.4L into the Mustang, why take a step backwards from a V6?

I think it would be cool cause I like factory boosted applications. The down side is it would hit the target and get alot of ricers into a Mustang and then the explosion of uglyness will begin! Brian Spillner wannabes with double stacked wings and neon and 24" wheels with some stupid drawing on the side of a guy holding a spear and flem exhausts and blowing the welds on the intake and granny shifting and burned piston rings and battle drifting...........its a never ending cycle and should be stopped before it starts :fuss:
/end rant kthxbi

I think its a great idea if it ever actually follows through.

Here's the thing that gets me though...that article (provided its real) is estimating 280/300+ which is very possible. But what about the GT's!!! Throw a car on the lot for 5k less that makes nearly just as much power with 10mpg more, and the GT just wont sell to the mainstream anymore. They really need to step it up. Atleast 375 from the factory, 350 minimum with a six speed to get the MPG up to avoid the "gas guzzler" charge.

Why doesnt the fed just get their noses out of where they shouldnt be... They keep trying to find more economical reasons for gas prices going up and how to solve this shortage of gas but yet not one of these oil companies can give us a legit reason as to why the prices keep going up? Now i know some people arent going to agree with me... but i just cant comprehend where the prices are coming from. They come down for short periods of time when they are mentioned in the news and then once people get settled there they jack them up again. Living in mississippi when the hurricane came through of course we had a horrible shortage in gas and i can see why the price would be so high, but tell me now why years later the prices are right back where they were during the hurricane. who freakin knows.

A good part of it is increased world demand. China and India are both consuming a LOT more oil than they ever did in the past, and they both have huge populations.

When I'm in China, I notice the regular gas is 95 octane and premium is 98 octane, with prices being similar to our 87 and 91.

Just be glad you don't live in Europe, you'd probably be driving a diesel or paying rediculous amounts of tax on gasoline.

As for a 4cylinder mustang, it would feel a bit anemic in regular driving, but 300hp is still 300hp. I bet torque would be at least equal to or better the 4.0 V6. I'm a bit impressed they are making that much power at 10.5 psi though. Bump it to 20psi and make some real power. :D

There is already rumors of Chevy putting a version of the Ecotech turbo motor in the new Camaro. I think its going to be the dawning of a new age. I love my V8, I'm keeping it cuz I probably won't be able to buy another one for a long time, if not ever. But 4 cylinder power in a domestic muscle car is not "new" news.