Fix for the non retracting seatbelts.

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
I had my car at the dealer for a few things and figured I would have them look at the seatbelt since most of the time I have to manually retract it back into place when taking it off. It turns out there is a TSB on it and they replaced the rings that attach to the post where the seatbelt goes into the car.

See the black ring/loop that the seatbelt goes through?

Seat_belt.jpg

The new ones have a plastic coating on them that makes it real smooth and so far it works great.

Attachments

• Seat_belt.jpg
    Seat_belt.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Sponsors (?)

2001 Geee T: Is that picture the actual seat belt loop on your Mustang or just an generic pic?

I don't have yet dramatical retraction problems, but I guess I will have soon. I would like to have that fixed before the warranty ends.

TenaciousD said:
what did it cost ya to fix the seat belts? the dealership wants to charge me $175 for a new seat belt retractor!

If there is "TSB" out for it, doesn't it mean its free? Even if you dont have a warranty?

My car is still under warranty, and I would love to get this fixed. Between it not retracting and CONSTANTLY getting tangled up, i want to ditch them for some racing harnesses. I hate those stock seat belts!

Not sure if this will help some of you that might not fall into the TSB work, but one of the first things I did when I got my Stang was unbolted the seatbelts from the floor and flipped them around. They come twisted, and it was really annoying. It seemed to help with retracting. I also removed the annoying loops from the seats. That helped retracting also...

Certainly, beside the friction of loops and stuff, keeping of dirt accumulating in the rolls helps keeping the retracting force. You can even clean the belt itself with soap and water and/or vacuum it. Sure, it will not do a miraculous job, but cleaning doesn't harm.

They are the ones that told me about the TSB. I didnt even know about it. I just asked if they could look at it while they were doing other stuff.

Its like night and day the way the seatbelt moves when putting it on and taking it off. Its really smooth.

I can post the part number this weekend when I can look at the invoice.

iStang- that is just a generic pic I found.

Here is the part number I have off of the invoice.

FMC YR3Z 63611D70AA

This is what it looks like. Notice the white plasic wrap around piece.
ring.jpg

This is what I thought they replaced at first when they said seatbelt ring.
loop.jpg

It still works like a dream too!

Its not tape. Its a smooth plastic piece that goes over the original part. Actually its a whole new part. It may look like a cheap fix but it works great. It makes me want to take my seatbelt on and off twice each time I get in the car. :D