Fixing Timing (never marked when removed)

Black331Stang

Apr 29, 2003
Long Island, NY
Ok, someone walked me thru this but i lost some steps. I iwas ripping down my motor and didnt plan on reassembling till i got a new motor but plans changed. I redid it and now my Timing has to be WAYYY off because no matter hwhere i set it i get massive detonation. I think i am 180* off. where should i start, someone have steps for me? So far i removed #1 plug and distributor. i plugged #1 hole with small piece of paper towel. I am gonna crank the motor by crank pulley until the paper pops out correct? that is TDC. then drop the distributor in and set timing by normal procedure. DO i have this correct?

Heres a concern of mine -- i heard that the #1 piston comes to the top TWICE (4 strokes) and only ONE of these tops is the right one. This is what i forgot on how to tell if i am at the right TDC. Or does it not matter? thanks alot or any help. I am ready to do this in a few minutes.

• Sponsors (?)

Take the coil wire out of the distributor. Pull #1 plug, put your finger in the spark plug hole. Have someone crank the engine until it starts to blow air past your finger. Stop cranking, turn the engine by hand (breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt, or put the car in gear and push) until the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer lines up with the pointer on the passenger side of the engine. Loose the distributor hold down bolt, remove the clamp, cap and wires, disconnect the wiring harness. Pull the distributor straight up.

The following re-install depends on the engine being lined up as in the previous instructions.
To re-install, turn the distributor rotor to point to #1 cylinder position on the cap. The#1 position is about 11 o'clock if 6 o' clock is the front of the engine. Line the rotor up with it pointing at the #1 spark plug position on the cap and drop it in: you may have to twist the shaft some to get it to engage the oil pump shaft. Then remove the SPOUT connector plug, and use a timing light to set the timing. The SPOUT is the dangling connector on the distributor harness on stangs made prior to 94 and with a computer controlled engine. 10* is stock for most 5.0s' 12*-14* is good for more pep if you are not into NO2 or power adders.