Flowmasters and X-pipe or stick with h-pipe?

seattlegt

May 3, 2006
I just put on a set of Flowmasters and would like to put on an x-pipe for performance improvement. My biggest concern in sound quality. I know I like the sound with the h-pipe. Anyone care to comment on what flowmasters and an x-pipe sound like? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Cany anybody else pipe in on this one? Resurrected thread, but I was also about ready to do both the X pipe and the American Thunder Flowmasters. Is there anybody here who has done it, then regretted it?

Just put on an X on my brother's 89 and he's got the American Thunder kit. He has a lot of crackling and hollow popping when he lets off the gas at speed and it sounds really good. No regrets. I have a ProChamber and Super 40 Flows and have a totally different sound than he does.

i have a bassani off-road x-pipe and flows...and, well, its absoltuly ridiculous. so raspy, deep, LOUD LOUD and LOUDER and when i let off the gas to shift, huge breath in sound which i love.

Yeah they're kind of raspy, he likes that. It doesn't bother me either. But compared to the h pipe, they have a higher pitch. It had that Flowmaster drone before the X went on and now it's just louder. Even the Super 40's I have has that drone and they're supposed to have the "Delta Flow technology" to help cut out the drone but it doesn't. I guess it bothers some individuals, we've both had old trucks with old school glasspacks and if you've ever heard those before, the Flowmaster drone is nothing to worry about.

Just had my Pypes O/R H installed yesterday afternoon. Holy cow Batman!!!!!! I couldn't believe the difference over the stock H pipe!!!!! You could definitely wake the neighbors up with this combo. I can't wait to get some video clips of her and post them!!!!!

Just had my Pypes O/R H installed yesterday afternoon. Holy cow Batman!!!!!! I couldn't believe the difference over the stock H pipe!!!!! You could definitely wake the neighbors up with this combo. I can't wait to get some video clips of her and post them!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

did you soil yourself as well? :shrug:

:D nice combo, isnt it?

I have yet to get a decent chance to feel/hear the difference yet as yesterday I had my 4 year old son with me plus it rained some. Then today it was bumper to bumper Friday traffic.:( Before with just the Flows and the 4.10s it was still very quiet cruising at 70 MPH...NOT ANYMORE!!!!! Now it reminds me of the previous styled Stangs as far as interior sound is concerned!!!!! I may never drive my diesel Jetta again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:D :D :D :D :D

Here are 2 clips I took today. From a standing start with no torque braking it will spin the tires like mad now(TCS icon on tach blinks for quite a while:D ). Not that it would win me many races, but a far cry from being able to only get a few chirps from them before the mods(WMS CAI, SCT XCAL 2 w/93 octane tune from Brenspeed, 4.10 gears and Flowmaster axlebacks).

Cruising then punching it
View attachment 401533

0-100
View attachment 401535