Ford FACT student looking for suggestions

Brandon11010

Jul 18, 2005
Im a UTI student and am enrolled in the Ford FACT program with a 4.0 g.p.a and 100% attendence, my plans are to go work for a Ford dealership but I have no idea where I should go. I'm currently living in Arizona and graduate in December but am willing to move anywhere. (Preferably no snow or California lol). But I have no idea what would be a good dealership to look into. Or where a good place to live would be. I have a rather large student debt to pay off so cost of living and job security is an issue so I'm looking for any input from anyone currently in the field. Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

First, figure out where you definitely don't want to live. Don't like the area, you don't want to have to learn a second language to survive, high crime area, things like that. Take into consideration that the climate may not be to your liking - too hot, too cold, hurricanes, tornado's, earthquakes etc.

Next figure that the best opportunities are in large cities. Can you stand to live in an apartment? If not, are you willing to commute the distance so that you can have a house with a yard?

Do you want to work at a dealership or a independent shop? Dealerships pay more money in most cases unless you snag a job with a specialty shop that repairs high end cars. Dealerships are also harder to get into unless you are in one of the fast track plans that preps you to work on a specific manufacturer's line of cars.

Look at which cities have the lowest unemployment and the highest number of auto dealerships. Time to go digging at the local library or spend lots of time Googling for facts.

Consider the cost of living - lower is better, but the lower cost of living also means lower pay in some places.

Have you made friends with the Snap-On, MAC, MATCO or other route tool salesmen? Plan on doing it before you get out of school. Many tool companies have a fabulous discount for the students in the automotive repair schools. Be sure the area you chose to work in has a tool salesman for your favorite tool company. You will easily have $10K-$20K in tools within 5 years. Some guys make bigger payments to the tool salesmen than they do for their car.