Ford's dying faster then i thought

From what I've read on the internet, the unions are one of the biggest reasons why GM/Ford are struggling right now - the unions keep asking for higher wages/more benefits and Ford just can't keep up with the rise.

I'm glad that they're trying to knock out the union - they'll prolly have to do it in shifts so they'll have enough money left to run the company, but when they do, hopefully Ford will be able to make a turn-around.

Hang tight, Ford! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Screw GM and Ford with their overpriced cheap plastic cladded cars that are bland at best in styling. Ford's trying to cash in still on the mustang line and they are lossing ground. And GM has no exciting car's the GTO was a flop, the corvette is to expensive for and average Joe to afford, i can only imagine what the new camaro is going to cost.

Maybe i'm being alittle harsh but it's their own fault and they are getting what they deserve. Stealerships don't help matters any they don't wanna deal on anything and their markups that they won't come down on are hurting Ford an GM more an more. I dunno about Dodge i try to stay away from the bottom of the barrel stuff :nice: .

caseywan said:
I don't know if it's been made public yet but my dad is a union worker at a Ford assembly plant, and he just told me yesterday that they had a big meeting informing the emplyees that Ford is bringing in a new CEO and Bill Ford is kind of stepping aside.

They are bringing in the some former big shot (I think he was the CEO) from Boeing that restructured Boeing and brought them out of the same problems that Ford currently has. They are giving him a $16 million dollar signing bonus and paying him $16 million for the first year!! No wonder they're frickin out of money!

They announced that like last week i think, that Bill Ford has stepped down as CEO..

I think the new Tahoe's are pretty sweet?? oh well like you all said they did it to themselves not lets hope ford doesnt die because of it..

Classical definition of an American car:
BIG
STYLISH
COMFORTABLE
HUGE MOTOR

A small american car is just an oxymoron, a confused bastardized version of it's former self.
American automakers started to lag back in the 70's when the oil crisis hit and have since declined steadily. Let's face it, you can't build a better japanese car than the Japanese, just like they can't build a better american car.

The new CEO bit has been public knowledge for a while now. Yesterday Ford deciede to make their company about 1/3 smaller....

As of this morning:

For will reduce the white collar work force by 1/3

Open buyout offers to all UAW workers

All plant closings will be speed up (original time line of 2012) to 2008

You can read most of the details online now, but here is a link to my local news: http://www.clickondetroit.com/automotive/9850824/detail.html

90blacknight said:
Let's face it, you can't build a better japanese car than the Japanese, just like they can't build a better american car.

I understand that you might be slighted about most of the Asian imports, but the American OEM's didn't really kill themselves. Most of the new products coming out of GM, DCX, FoMoCo. offer just as many bennifits as those cars for similar prices. But I am no fool, I know that outside Detroit no one really buys any American product.

Hey, I have nothing against asian imported vehicles. In fact, I drive a honda also, as my DD. I felt the error lay in trying to immitate a product that was never their own, instead of promoting what they already had worldwide. I've lived in europe and the name "mustang" there is legendary. People have heard of it but have never actually laid eyes on it. Where could you buy one? Oh, only in the U.S. The asian invasion was inevitable, they should have seen this coming long ago. Replicating someone else's idea was a doomed strategy, I feel. I feel promotion/marketing on a global scale and keeping with the original idea at home would have been the best bet. I mean, who here doesn't wish they owned a car from the famed muscle car era, or the roaring twenties, or what have you. I mean looking back in about 30 years leaves little to desire of the american automakers as far as product from the eighties and nineties. Maybe a fox body, but very little else.

Ah, I see where you are coming from... I feel similarly about the small / midsized catagory. If the Domestic OEM's would stop taking out content before new cars hit the dealerships the American brands would at least have an edge in content.

Maybe the Cross-Over segment will be the next big thing? Because the day of the Explorer is definently done now.

srothfuss said:
Ah, I see where you are coming from... I feel similarly about the small / midsized catagory. If the Domestic OEM's would stop taking out content before new cars hit the dealerships the American brands would at least have an edge in content.

Maybe the Cross-Over segment will be the next big thing? Because the day of the Explorer is definently done now.

+1

Althought my DD is a 1989 Heep Cherokee with 210xxx miles, im about to buy me an exploder.. i just like em! and i heard a tip there is a possibility the gas bubble may burst sending gas under 2 bucks once again

1990Coupe said:
+1

Althought my DD is a 1989 Heep Cherokee with 210xxx miles, im about to buy me an exploder.. i just like em! and i heard a tip there is a possibility the gas bubble may burst sending gas under 2 bucks once again

I'm sure glad I got the HEMI now...hopefully gas prices continue to fall!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that there's a huge surplus now, and building, so prices are projected to continually fall...we'll see...:rolleyes:

MYSTICSVT said:
According to this:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/MostDependableCar.aspx

that's not the case. Look how high FoMoCo is ranked in quality. Especially Mercury. Ford's problem is the UAW and the current lack of fuel efficient cars that people actually want. Their biggest problem is the lack of "American Pride" in the buying public.

+1 for American Pride. If the public would support our own industry like other countries do both Ford and GM would not be in such a situation. Ford and GM's home market have been declining at alarmingly rapid rates.

FTW BUY AMERICAN!!!!! :flag:

wht93gtEd said:
I'm sure glad I got the HEMI now...hopefully gas prices continue to fall!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that there's a huge surplus now, and building, so prices are projected to continually fall...we'll see...:rolleyes:

They will fall a lil more.. and projections are pointing towards a collapse with oil prices falling rapidly.. im stoked!! :nice:

I tell you what,my dad has owned a 03' Silverado with a 4.8 LS motor,that was a hell of a truck.My 99' Lightning has over 120K on it and runs like new,I have been under it changing oil and when I was adding the lowering hangers (3" drop in rear :D ),lemme tell you the trans in it is a monster and so is the rear end.

The asian will never be as good as the Americans at building truck and larger vehicles.I know a friend who bought one of the new Nissan trucks when they came out and now wishes he would have gotten a Chevy or Ford.

And that link that MYSTICSVT gave is pretty good point.But I wonder if it says what kinda of problems?

And have you ever noticed that when people buy a Toyota or Honda,ect. especialy if there new they take really good care of it? Someone that might have bought a Focus or something else cause it was a little cheaper than what they were looknig at might not take it to have regular maintance done when its required.

Edit: "The study gives all problems equal weight; the most common ones reported were wind noise and loud brakes." What kinda bull **** is that? This is maintance stuff like I mentioned.....

1990Coupe said:
+1

Gas on base here in Virginia is 2.59 for premium, which sure beats 3.30 like it was not too long ago, and even higher 6 months ago :notnice:

They need to thanks the Ford dealers in part for the lack in sales when they allow dealers to set rediculous prices for popular cars such as the new T-Bird and the GT. I should know, I worked at 2 Ford dealerships.
They made their bed, let 'em lay in it.

The problem with most domestic companies is that the cars that everybody wants I.E Cobras, Corvettes, Viper..etc etc etc are all out of the price range for your average joe.

Maybe i'm the only one to notice this, but everything they make...year after year, no matter what "model" it is or what name they give it, they all look the same. Almost no originality if any at all.