Fox to Cobra 5 lug conversion (not as easy as it seems)

Getting back to the core content, and in keeping w/ my "2 steps forward, one step backward" method of modifying the car, While I was massing the parts to do the swap. I found some Ranger axles from a supplier in Storm Lake IA. They only cost 65.00 ea, were supposedly new, and not refurbed or resplines, so I bought them. And left them......in the box,....waiting,.... for this day.

I open the the box pull them out, and the first issue was that they had no studs. After making several calls to several auto parts stores I find 10 at NAPA.

"Wheel studs? Don't you mean wheel bolts?" The female at NAPA asked. "No, I want wheel studs, they need to be knurled on the big end, the axles are not threaded for bolts, I need wheel studs" I said.
"Well alls we got is wheel bolts, you welcome to come by an see if they gonna fit" she said.
I get in my van, and make the 10 mile trip to see what the hell a "wheel bolt" looked like. When I get there, there is a new dude at the counter. "can I help you?" he asks. "Yeah, I talked w/ someone about 20 minutes ago about some wheel studs for the rear on a 93 Ranger" I said back.

"You mean wheel bolts?":nonono:. "NO. I want wheel studs! Wheel studs w/ a point 619 knurl. Wheel studs that I'll have to beat through the axle w/ a big assed hammer!.... For a Ranger,.... On the rear,....With drum brakes!,.....For Christs' Sake!"

I must've sounded a little,..anxious.

"Well all we got is wheel bolts, I'll go pull em and you can see if you can make em work." Said Dude, equally frustrated w/ my Yankee in the South ass.

He gets them, I open the box, and there they are,...wheel studs,.. w/ a .619 knurl,.. Just what I need.
"These are what I want, AND they're wheel studs, not bolts!"

Dude points to the box, and beside the part number is the description of the contents:

Wheel bolts. 5 ea.

"Bolts got a head, studs don't" dude says. "Bolts are turned by either a wrench, a ratchet, a screwdriver, or a pair of pliers" I argue, "How you gonna turn this w/ anything"? It had a friggin' round head with these ridges that are put there on purpose to prevent them from being turned by ANYTHING!"

"All I know is that is what they're called here at NAPA" says dude, as he gives me a credit card receipt for the 25.00 my fasteners cost.

I got into my van and thought, "Yeah, you also call a package tray a hat rack, a differential a chunk, and you wear a toboggan on your head too" and drove back home.

I beat my studs through the axles, install one side and the rotor, and caliper, Stick the other axle in the other side, and cannot get the rotor to go on. My 65.00 ( probabry Chinee) axle has the bolt circle drilled off center.

So Now I got a bent spindle on one side up front, and a drunk chinee machined axle on the rear.
I'll never get it running again. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Wow Mike. Sounds like Im not the only one that has to deal with Murphys law. Also, its good to see that rear end noise saw dust thread was just a joke. Im no expert on any of this stuff but, as I was reading the first part of that thread, I was thinking to myself. With all the skill & years of experience you have, you couldn't possibly think that would be the right answer. You really should be a writer for a magazine or something.

Wow Mike. Sounds like Im not the only one that has to deal with Murphys law. Also, its good to see that rear end noise saw dust thread was just a joke. Im no expert on any of this stuff but, as I was reading the first part of that thread, I was thinking to myself. With all the skill & years of experience you have, you couldn't possibly think that would be the right answer. You really should be a writer for a magazine or something.

You should know me better by now.
I have to keep up w/ the likes of Droptop5.0, and the Noobz here.