FR Tilt column install Q -

I have sent an email on to their tech support as this one has me stumped. I am still in the garage scratching my head - so let me know if you have done this mod before and hopefully I am just overlooking something that I can fix this weekend.

I have the new FR steering box with the short shaft and the FR tilt column. Once the column is in position, there is about 3.25" between the end of the column and the shaft on the steering box. The instructions call for installing two steering links, one on each end, with a short piece of rectangular steering shaft between them. The problem is that there isn't even enough room for the steering links in the small gap.

Thanks -

• Sponsors (?)

Been there. I have a FR tilt column in a 66. They sent me three universal joints to clear the headers, but there isn't that much room in there. If I understand you correctly, then you should be able to us the one universal to connect the box to the column. Measure inside of the universal to make sure that you have enough shaft in both ends, and that should do it. You could always move the column down a little more to take up any slack.

jscar1968 said:
...you should be able to us the one universal to connect the box to the column. Measure inside of the universal to make sure that you have enough shaft in both ends, and that should do it. You could always move the column down a little more to take up any slack.

I went back and looked and think that you might have the solution. I have the correct ends to make it work, but they are are different steering u-joints. Can I disassemble the ones I have now and switch and end without damaging them, or should I go back to FR for the correct combination?

Thanks -