Freakin' Computer Virus.

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Here is the link to the description/solution:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_CRYPT.N

I have had Trend Micro PC Cillin for 4 yrs now with NO problems..

Yesterday Morning when I logged on Stangnet, the little window popped up telling me I had the virus and it could not quarantine it. I did a full scan and the result was the same.

I spent 2 hrs on Thurs night following the instructions in the link (click on the "solution" tab).

When I get to step 3, type in REGSVR32 and file name, it tells me that I can access the library...Im assuming that is the step that allows me to delete the file.

Anyway, Trend Tech support is M-F, 5am-5pm PST...Those are the EXACT hours I work :bang: I dont have another day off until Next Wed.

My computer still works, but the pop up window stays there and it keep doing that annoying refreshing click unless I turn the virus program off.

Any suggestions?

RC

• Sponsors (?)

:lol:

This looks like the best way.
# Start your system using a Windows 2000 or XP CD (Windows NT CD will not work).
# At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair. For users using Windows 2000 CD, press C to start the Windows Recovery Console.
# Select the appropriate number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair. Usually, this is represented by the number 1.
# Type the administrator password. If the administrator password does not exist, press Enter.
# On the command prompt, locate the folder where the malware files are detected.
# In the folder where the malware files are located, type the following command, then press Enter:
DEL {malware file name}
# Restart your system.

You will start at c:\winnt or c:\windows. Use dir to list files, cd directory name to change directories. I.e. "cd system32" will put you in the c:\windows\system32 directory. Use cd .. to move up one directory. The help command might be usefull too.

There are a couple other scans you can try if you havn't allready.
Trend Housecall
Ad-aware
Spybot
HijackThis--Post a log file from this.

Good luck!

I got a worm virus a few months back and no matter what I did I could not get it off the PC. I would delete the files that it was in and when ever I rebooted it would be back along w/ the files I just got rid of. It slowly started to eat programs on my HD and other programs were starting to shut down such as Media player no longer had any sound. I ended up wiping out the hard drive and just starting over. The thing needed to be cleaned up anyway.

94GTLaserRC said:
LOL...The Virus popped up when I was on here :nono:

Dan....I will try that, but first, I called Trend Micro PC, and they Emailed me instructions on how to get rid of it.

Ill be back on here in awhile and let you know the results.

RC

Do you have AOL or compuserve? They have free virus protection, which is awesome.

I have a corp. cd that AOL employee's get which you could use, if need be. PM me if interested.
Scott

i didnt have time to read the hole virus prob, but most virus will create a hook or start up file in the reg you need to find that file and delete it.sometimes its a mofo cause they will create multiple hooks and then it becomes very diff to locate.good luck w/ it if you get it figured out grab zone alram security its a very good virus and firewall.

if its coming back on reboot then their is still a boot file in the reg that you will need to locate. thats the only way to get rid of it for good.hunt through the reg and look for susspicios(?) reg keys.