From one american muscle car to another

I have a '95 explorer and a '67 stang. Well, the explorer is nearing 100,000 miles and probably some expensive problems in sight, So within the next 6 months, I think I'll sell it. Also, its just not practical to pay insurance on two cars, so I may just sell the stang as well. Its nice to have a classic muscle car. People stop and stare, its fun to talk to other enthusiasts. But some things just get old. No a/c, power steering or power brakes. And I'll always want something faster, nomatter what I have. So I was considering selling both of my cars (within the next 6 months) and getting another car. Something with all the modern day technology along with speed and handling...and good gas mileage. But it has to be a good price. Also, if this particular car was going to be unvailed in '05 as completely redesigned, then many enthusiasts will sell they're current one to get the new, improved design. No, I'm not talking about getting a mustang....I'm talking about a....corvette.?.?... I've done some research including asking opinions from this board, and a used corvette is the best bang for the buck out there. All kinds of cool features, good looks, great handling, 13 sec quarter, and most importantly...all for less than $20,000. Especially in 6 months when people will be putting there c5's up for sale in order to get the new c6. I just have to talk myself into selling the stang. Its not that I'm really that attached to it, I just don't want to loose that "look at that old car", or "hey, check out that mustang", or "Hey man, thats a '67 right?...I used to have......" etc... But its just not practical to keep two cars. Its also not practical to drive the '67 everyday. I stuck in a bind.:shrug: :scratch:

• Sponsors (?)

I understand your viewpoint- but do you actually think it is practical to drive a Corvette everyday? Keep the 67 - trust me. Even if you just park it for a little while. You will regret selling it ...guaranteed. If you need something to drive everyday - sell the Explorer and get a nice low mileage Tahoe or Yukon. But-- whats my opinion worth?

I know a guy that can hook you up with a real nice corvette. Email me and I will pass some info to you. But be prepared to pay, his matching number 67 vert is minimum $50k.

Keep the Mustang and fix it up...there are lots of options for 67/68s.

Buy a 3yo commuter car.

5 reasons to keep the mustang.

theres no back seat in a corvette....i like back seats :D

corvette owners are stereotypicaly snobs.

not much aftermarket for corvettes.

all C5's look the same, and they're EVERYWHERE

a corvette is not a 67 Mustang

This post definitely caught my eye...

I sold my '99 Cobra to pay off some bills and fund my restoration. I currently have a '99 Explorer which I will sell next spring once I have completed my restoration.

I'm upgrading my '66 with modern running gear so I can sell use it as my daily driver. A/C, Disc Brakes, P/S, Stereo, plenty of power and will get ~18MPG. All for way less than $20k.

Keep the '67. Sell the Explorer and use the $$$ to upgrade. Just a thought...

$0.02

I sold the all of the cars on my sig to fund this project. Never regret it for a second either.

Still need to sell the coupe. Any takers???

Everything you are yearning for is going into the fastback. Leather check, ac check, power double check, wow factor super checked, 13 second quarter buaha haaa, back seat no but I could, overdrive check, fuel injection check, and so and so on..... You get the point and of course you can do it for cheaper than buying a corvette.

If anything as far as handling is concerned I'd get an S2000 and also add a supercharger he hee heee. As some of you may know my experience with said s2000's :D.

On a side note though I'm waiting for the 2006 cobra oh yes it will be mine.

3spd on floor said:
5 reasons to keep the mustang.

theres no back seat in a corvette....i like back seats :D

corvette owners are stereotypicaly snobs.

not much aftermarket for corvettes.

all C5's look the same, and they're EVERYWHERE

a corvette is not a 67 Mustang

Well, I have to disagree with 3.5 of those comments considering I do have both a Corvette ('92 auto) and Mustang.

Your right there is no back seat, but who needs one?- I think in 8 years of owning the Stang I have had passengers in the back twice (and you can get 4 passengers in a corvette if the need arises-and if you have other intentions it can be done in the front seats too :nice: ).

I know a lot of corvette and mustang guys, and they are just like us...some people suck and others dont. I have met just as many stuck up stang drivers as I have vette drivers.

There is a TON of aftermarket for vettes...in fact between the piles of catalogs I have for both, I would say there is hands down more stuff out there for vettes especially C4's and C5's. Remember the LT1's & LS1's were used in camaro's and TA's. Although vette parts are a little more money sometimes.

I think saying all C5's look the same is like saying all mustangs look the same....I dont know about your area, but I personally dont see very many of either cars that arent stock driving around. And Ford makes a ton more mustangs then chevy makes vettes so i think its the other way around.

And your right a Corvette is not a '67 Mustang, but '67 Mustang is no Corvette either.

Fortunately I do have the best of both worlds, the vette is my DAILY driver..even through Chicago winters, no problems over the last 3 years. Routine maintance does cost a little more (5qts Mobil 1) but it gets great mileage (21 mpg city /28 highway). Although it definately would not cost 20K for an engine and trans rebuild...its not a ferrari or something.

I love both my cars-but for different reasons, if I had to pick one of mine to keep it would be the Stang.

Now, my vote for you is to sell the truck, keep the Stang, and buy the vette.

Sorry so long, I was bored.

http://badboy.stangnet.com/images/als92.jpg

you say it would be cheaper to "re-do" the stang and add all that stuff. Well, mabye it would be at this point, but in reality, if you add up the cost of what it took to get the car like it is now + what it will cost to make it "modern", then that = more than $20,000

20? thats how much I have in parts. How much were you planning on spending on a corvette? 50? no? I'd say more like 30 for the stang but no one else will have something like it :).

As as I stated above I'd rather get that viper.

keep the stang, everytime i talk about selling the stang and getting another car, everyone freaks out in my family. some guy slammed on his brakes the other day to tell me he loved my ride. they are just so kewl. theres like what maybe 200,000 64-70 stangs (im sure im off there) and like 2 million vettes. definately keep the stang, and if you have a problem keeping it, lemme know and I'll scan the main story in this month's Mustang Times. Its a 65 fastback gt 350 clone for the frame and body, everything else is 98 mustang and up. Including the axles, stereo system, seats, motor, tranny. it loooksss soooooo awesome.

you stated in your first post "Also, its just not practical to pay insurance on two cars" if you are talking insurance practicality then a c5 vette isn't for you ether. You will probably be paying more to insure it then your mustang and the explorer combined.

selling ur 67 ?

#1 a car is not an investment. Especially a new one. They decrease in value, always! A car is only ever worth what someone else is willing to pay.

#2 It is true that someone is ALWAYS faster. But that's what makesit so fun. Taking your "small little 289-302" and stomping a mudd hole in a new corvette and walking it dry, or some loud mouth chevy owner with a big block. If you want to be the fastest that bad, move to a small town.

#3 But you will always regret selling your car later. And you will be one of the people who says I used to have one, It ran 11.80's on motor with street tires, at a 1000 feet. You all know the kind.

#4 you'll regret it!!

Your right there is no back seat, but who needs one?- I think in 8 years of owning the Stang I have had passengers in the back twice (and you can get 4 passengers in a corvette if the need arises-and if you have other intentions it can be done in the front seats too ).

passengers isnt exactly what i meant.... ;) :D