front coil springs please help

HISSIN50 said:
If you want ancillary or extra info, MFE has a pretty nice write up on this method. Good luck :nice:

I would have loved to do this method, but had just purchase new FMS Lower A Arms and it took everything in my power just to get them to fit in the pockets because the bushings were so tight, I had no choice but to get the spring compressor which I must say is also the safest way to do them!

• Sponsors (?)

payupsucka said:
can you elaborate on that did you drop the control arm and then use a jack to push it up ? i have never done springs before and the ford motorsport c springs are very much shorter than stockers so i dont know what to do
Thats is a very good idea that Hissing Cobra posted. Ford actually make a spring compressor like this but it is around $320.

But since you mention "C" springs then you don't even need anything.

When installing "C" springs all you have to do is unbolt the strut bolts and the top nut on the sway bar end link and let the a-arm down with a jack. The a-arm will drop enough that you will be able to just put in the new "C" spring without having to unbolt the 2 rear bolts holding the a-arm on.

I have done several sets of "C" springs and I have never had a problem getting the springs back in.

Now if you are trying to replace the stock front springs then you need the compressor. I have used the Ford compressor for this before and it was a breeze. But I borrowed it from a friend that worked at Ford.

If you do not have access to a Ford compressor then Hissing Cobra's plan sounds like the next best bet.

Good Luck.

oh, step 2 above should say about unbolting sway bar end link. I forgot. I don't run a sway bar right now.

You can try 89sleeper's method, but I've never heard of anyone doing that. Be careful getting the old spring out though. I'll have to try it myself next time. I know when doing the way I said, you lower the jack down pretty far until the spring is releived of tension.

Yeah. I have never had to loosen or even touch the a-arm to k-member bolts.

I've just always let the a-arm down down with a jack all the way. Usually you have to step on the end of the a-arm with your foot and press it down a little for the stock spring to come out. When I do this I usually have a pry bar between the spring and have to pry it out a little, but with the arm almost vertical it really doesn't have much to come out.

89sleeper said:
Yeah. I have never had to loosen or even touch the a-arm to k-member bolts.

I've just always let the a-arm down down with a jack all the way. Usually you have to step on the end of the a-arm with your foot and press it down a little for the stock spring to come out. When I do this I usually have a pry bar between the spring and have to pry it out a little, but with the arm almost vertical it really doesn't have much to come out.

There is alot of energy stored in a spring and a prybar doesnt mix real well with it, but whatever works for each person and how comfortable or safe they feel is up to them.

Shakerhood said:
There is alot of energy stored in a spring and a prybar doesnt mix real well with it, but whatever works for each person and how comfortable or safe they feel is up to them.
I have done this at least 2 dozen times or more. Never once had any kind of issue. When the a-arm is let down almost vertical it has verry little energy stored.

If you feel like wasting your time other ways then go ahead, feel free.