Front fenders different?

McFairmont

Founding Member
Sep 8, 2001
Surrey, BC Canada
I have heard that the front fenders on the 90 or 91 Mustangs had wheel openings that were 1" longer than the earlier cars. Supposedly, when the 16" "Pony" rims came out, that was when the change was made. Can anybody confirm this? Also, if this is true, would all the cars built after the change have these larger fenders,including the 4 cyl`s, or just the 5.0 cars? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of a change in the rear fenders,(I guess it is possible) but I do know the front fenders on the 91-93 cars, V8 and 4 cyl, have a larger opening. I know for a fact the front edge of the wheel opening is about 1" larger and the lower fender extension is also shorter, that attaches to the front bumper. Also, one guy on here said the rear looks to be about 1/2" wider also since his GT effects would not fit right with a pre 91 fender. But the only difference I can confirm is the front part of the fender.

Thanks, guys. Does anybody know if these fenders will bolt right onto my 85 Mustang? I realize that I will have to drill the mounting holes at the front section for the stock fiberglass lower "filler" panels. Any other concerns that you are aware of? Thanks.

Upgrading to the newer style front end is popular, I believe they bolt righ on with no issues at all. I have had buddies that have swapped over and they didn't have to drill any new mounting holes.