Fuel Fill Problem Isn't Resolved On 2007's

I refueled (or more correctly should say attempted to refuel) my 2007 Mustang for the first time yesterday with frustrating results. The nozzle almost immediately kicked off, so I reset the pump to a lower setting and moved the nozzle about halfway out. The car, which was at less that 1/4 tank took about 7 gallons when the nozzle initially shut off. Those of you who've had this problem know the rest of the story. I got the car 3/4 full and then decided that maybe it was the fuel nozzle :shrug: so I moved to another pump. The new pump didn't shut off and I ended up with gas spilled all over the side of the car. :bang: :bang:

I did a search on StangNet and it appears my problem is exactly what is described in TSB 05-4-8, pertaining to the 2005 year cars. It also happened with the 2006 that I rented last July. I just figured it was the gas pump nozzle when it happened with the rental, as I was buying gas at a crappy no-name place on the way back to the airport.

It will be interesting to hear what the dealer's service department has to say about this.

Any thoughts on a good site to look for additional TSBs for this and other problems?

Can't believe that Ford hasn't fixed this. These cars should have never been sold until this problem was resolved.

• Sponsors (?)

A similar thing happened to me once with my '07 GT....

I couldn't get the tank filled at my favorite gas station, so I went to another close by to see if I could replicate the problem. I was able to fill the tank up at the second station just fine. There have been no repeats of the problem at any other gas station, and I've been able to successfully fill up at the station that I originally had the problem with as long as I use a different set of pumps.

i really wish they would have fixed it aw well.. none of the AAFES pumps over here in the UK work on my stang and Ill be damned if i am going to pay 7 bucks a gallon off base! And to make matters worse i tried to get warranty work done to replace the gas tank and the Europe ford office told me to go screw myself.... almost regret buying this stang....

I had the same problem coming back from Arizona. The usual, nozzle shutting off then eventually shooting **** all down the side of my car. I went to another gas station and it worked fine. I've also tried turning the nozzle upside down so the handle is in the air and that seems to help. It's probably something to do with the nozzle brands at certain gas stations.

:shrug:

It Gets Better-RANT

I stopped by the dealership's service department today and told them about my experience when refueling the car. When I advised the ticket writer about what happened, SHE said, "I don't know what a 07 looks like." I replied that it looks just like a 2005-2006. I explained what happened, more than anything to see if they were hearing of other owners experiencing the same problem. I told her about the TSB for 2005's which called for gas tank replacement. She couldn't find the TSB. She couldn't find it because she didn't know how to look it up. I explained that I had found it on a Mustang enthusiasts web site and had printed it off and it was sitting on my desk at the base. Then (get this!) she gave me her card and asked me to fax her the TSB to her tomorrow!!! At about this time, another employee from the service dept joined the discussion and began to go on and on about how there was a TSB for the Ford Escape with a similar problem and that the root cause was possibly the pressure of the gas pump. After going back and forth with this yo-yo for a couple of minutes, I finally said, "look-I don't own an Escape, I own a Mustang. I don't really care what the TSB for the Escape says about the gas pumps. The Mustang TSB does not mention that. Get it?" If it were not for the fact that I have commanded a Marine Corps Maintenance Company, and oversaw the operations of a unit that was responsible for the intermediatel level maintenance and repair of all Marine Corps ground equipment in theater during Operation Desert Storm maybe I'd be a little less critical. Problem is I know how maintenance is supposed to be done. These morons can't even find a friggin TSB! What's next? Are they going to ask me to turn wrenches on my car at their shop & then charge me for it?

I had mine "fixed" under the TSB and it still has the issue when I let the tank run low. REAL LOW. To get past it I have to turn the nozzle upside down and pull back the EVAP sleeve like I am pumping for a bike. hahahahaha...

Give it a try. If the garden hose + EVAP design on the pumps are incompatible and you are forced to add to global warming because of it, not your fault my friend. You are but a small pebble in the pond.

Good Luck and thank you for your service to this Nation!

Jenn

In the Uk, we use TOTAL gas stations. they don't have the sensitive gas nozzles. For those who don't appreciate the problem, the design of the fuel tank is like a pair of saddlebags. There is a good reason for this. It keeps the weight of the fuel nearer the centre of the car for better handling. The fuel enters the driver's side tank and overflows into the second tank. To relieve the pressure in the second tank, there is a vertical pipe which feeds back into the fuel tank. This wasn't very big on the 2005 models like mine and they may have increased the bore on the later models but the inherent constriction remains the centre section.
2177534_159_full.jpg

But it's still better than having the fuel tank slung out the back. and enables the smaller overhangs.