Fuel Fuel line routing question..

• Sponsors (?)

85 GT, do your fuel lines feed into the engine compartment like in my pic? The clamp in the middle of the pic holds the rubber line to it, which then turns 90 degrees towards the front of the car to the fuel pump..
Looked at the fuel line today.

Yes, my fuel line appears to come in like yours does.... from the rearward end of the driver's side inner fender, about 8-10" below the brake booster. Also, like yours, it makes that 90° turn towards the mechanical fuel pump on the timing cover.

Reactions: 1 user
Fuel anf Return.........You're carb'd right? What return line? You mean vent line?
There is a fuel and a return line that makes a circuit from the mechanical fuel pump to the fuel tank.. If you look at my pics in post #17, you can see all three lines..
fuel, return and the small black plastic vent line.......

Hey, appreciate your help . Classic lines builds a 85 GT only line, but they have not been able to answer my questions
The picture of it they show does not look much different than what mine looks like and the front of the line in the engine compartment looks completely different.. so I have been thinking of a plan B...
Sure, happy to help.... or at least try to.

Sounds to me like the '85 specific line is the one you would need.... based on what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. Not sure why it doesn't look much different than your current one.

Fuel anf Return.........You're carb'd right? What return line? You mean vent line?
Like Limp said, there is a "return line" from the mechanical fuel pump back to the tank. That is separate from the fuel-vapor return line coming from the charcoal canister.

You can see the 3 connections on the pump in the following pic. 1 inlet nipple (from the tank), 1 outlet fitting (to the carb), and the additional nipple, which is the return to the tank.

Sure, happy to help.... or at least try to.

Sounds to me like the '85 specific line is the one you would need.... based on what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. Not sure why it doesn't look much different than your current one.
Agreed, this is what I assume to.. I asked Classic tubes ( email ) if the rear clearance for the right side exhaust was the difference in the 85 only line and they were unable to help me... Pretty sad response actually... Claimed they did not have any ford blueprints or drawings? LMR or NPD do not have this line in there catalog... Heck I would drive to NPD Ocala to look at it if they did...
I plan on removing the the rubber lines from the tank to these metal lines and just seeing what I can do.. maybe bend the metal lines a bit, and re routing the rubber ones, shortening or lengthening them...

Updating the rear brake line ( for the same exhaust clearance reason) was a slam dunk with LMR selling a kit to do it with... Nothing like this for the fuel lines which makes me think I am missing a fairly easy ' fix ' here.. I could buy the fuel line and if it worked I could then buy the vent line, but I hate to have another useless part on my shelf.....

I sure can't be the only person installing dual exhausts on a pre 87 car, but I seem to be the only person online with these questions..... Problem must be leftover from my Short bus days...... LOL

I have a renter here who makes his living as an IT guy.... As to FEP, he said its not a problem with my computer but at the website?? I want to think there might me more answers to my dilemma there, but I can't get to it..... Story of my life....
Appreciate all the help on here....

Last edited:
Fk it... I might just order this on monday.. What the heck, I don't quite have 911 money or 67 Corvette money in this car ( probably close ) but another $100 or so is not going to wipe out the " spending my childrens inheritance fund"
I really want to get this car back on the ground and get it driving.........
https://classictube.com/product/ford-mustang-fuel-supply-line-1985-2/?q=

There is a fuel and a return line that makes a circuit from the mechanical fuel pump to the fuel tank.. If you look at my pics in post #17, you can see all three lines..
fuel, return and the small black plastic vent line.......
I've never had a carb'd car with a fuel return line, just say'n :shrug:

Bad luck comes in three's... cleaning out the garage, getting ready to climb under the mustang.. Tried to start up my scoot... Crank no Start... spark to plugs, I smell fuel, plugs are dry... And its my favorite thing, fuel injection.... LOL....
Bought it brand new in 06 off the showroom floor and this is the first time the black b!tch has let me down....
My to do list just got bigger.....
DSCF1431.JPG

Some pics of my fuel tank.. The flange on the front right side is bent down and is in the way of the exhaust..
Looked at some pics and the fuel tanks I looked at either had a nice rounded seam with NO extra or if it had a flange it was bent up??
I need to move this out of the way... Is this area durable enough to let me bend it from down to up??
Here are some pics....
DSCF1432.JPG
DSCF1433.JPG
DSCF1434.JPG

I looked around at the different tanks and it appears all the 79-85 carved tanks are this way. Even found this video explaining the differences between the carded and injection tanks:

View: https://youtu.be/Hjl172ggFEQ?feature=shared

Do you have gas in it? If not then remove it, heat that corner up and bend it. Cold bending it could pop the weld and you would have a leaker. Not saying it will but it’s possible.

Last edited:
Thanks Aerocoupe for that video.... The " flange" on the older tank looks just like mine. bent down, and the newer " Fuel Injected" tank was bent up... I wonder if the Ford engineers did that on purpose for the Dual exhaust?
In 4/81 all of the cars got the larger tank, like the fuel injected cars,
Do you think a heat gun would heat it up enough to bend my tanks flange? Not interested in taking a flame to it....

I seriously doubt it. You need enough heat to make the metal pliable.

I think the carbureted ‘85’s got this tank as well and they had dual tail pipes. Would need someone to confirms that though.

I have welded numerous fuel tanks over the years (not afraid)
Yes, just drain the tank of fuel and blow it out with shop air, refill with water and drain it again and repeat that a few times
Then weld empty
The trick is to hold a rosebud torch in the filler hole (any hole) once to get it to flame out
When the tank goes whoof once and flame shoots out every open hole, you are good to weld or braze

When all the holes are open it just about cannot kaboom on you
Sometimes the whoof can be substantial and you just stand away from the holes that shoot the flame out
Most times it is just a little puff
My understanding is the Kabooms are when the explosion is contained or pressurized, so like you say when open to the atmosphere is should work..