Fuel Pump Disable

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I want to crank the engine but have the fuel pump off. What's the easiest way to temporarily disable the pump?

I'd like to avoid triggering a CEL if at all possible.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, its located behind back panel, left of the trunk lock. Trip it and it will disable the pump. Why are you doing this?

Before I put the spark plugs in (so the engine will spin faster) I just want to spin it a bit to make absolutely sure the roller rockers clear the modified baffle in the valve cover.

I'll align the cover with two bolts just a few threads in. Then, while my helper cranks I'll hold the cover down and feel/listen for clearance problems.

That's my plan anyway.

Just disconnect the coil wire and fire away! No unscrewing or solonoids to trip

Edit... It doesn't have any plugs in. so whats the problem here? Just start the car with the gas pedal to the floor

Just disconnect the coil wire and fire away! No unscrewing or solonoids to trip

Edit... It doesn't have any plugs in. so whats the problem here? Just start the car with the gas pedal to the floor

Fuel line won't be connected at the point of the test. If I turn the key on with fuel line unhooked, gas will gush all over.

Flooring the gas pedal while cranking tells the injectors not to pulse. Either hook up the line and floor the gas pedal or trip the inertia switch. Honestly I would just spin it by hand with a wrench. If there is contact you will hear it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again to both of you. I didn't know flooring the pedal prevents injectors from pulsing.

Are most other fuel injected cars like this too?

Flooring the gas pedal while cranking tells the injectors not to pulse. Either hook up the line and floor the gas pedal or trip the inertia switch. Honestly I would just spin it by hand with a wrench. If there is contact you will hear it.
Probably the safer method as less destruction would occur if something was screwed up

Option 3 wild be to bridge the starter solenoid on the fender with a screwdriver. This will merely bump the starter and not prime the fuel system.

^ that's what I'd do. Don't have to take any panels off inside the car or anything. Just jump the solenoid, the small top pin to the big pin with the red wire going to it. Simple as that lol

Option 3 wild be to bridge the starter solenoid on the fender with a screwdriver. This will merely bump the starter and not prime the fuel system.

Sounds like the ticket. Good idea.

Not only does it not energize the pump, but the ignition stays dead too, correct?

How to crank engine without ignition or fuel pump being powered on.
1 picture is worth 1,000 words...
?temp_hash=fc65699586babecff588cf0f9b3c9d76.gif

Attachments

• Starter Solenoid wiring with test jumper.gif
    Starter Solenoid wiring with test jumper.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,161