fuel smell

Sivstang

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2001
When the tank is completely full or close to empty I get a fuel oder in the interior of the car. Any ideas? I can't seem to find holes or leaks or anything in that filler neck area.

btw this ia 94 cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

check the cap it has vent holes in it and if they get stopped up you will build pressure inside your tank which will cause vapors to escape into other areas, usually when you have this problem you will notice, when you remove the cap to refuel does it ever blow air out of filler neck as you remove cap...and also check the charcoal cannister which is located in the passenger side wheel well. you will have to remove the passenger side tire and plastic wheel well liner under fender sometimes the cannister will fill with fuel when its not working properly...repost results

ahh nice thanks for the info, I also notice that the hole that you insert the pump nozzle into they usually have a flap that goes over it and when you insert the nozzle it pushes out of the way then when you remove the nozzle it flaps back over the hole... I don't have mine.. or it has been bent out of the way.

alot of time the problem with fuel smell is the canp solenoid/and or fuel cap see pic. below for location of canp solenoid...but the canp solenoid is in line with the carbon cannister and controls the flow of vapors out of the cannister.its normally closed but when you turn the motor off vapors from the fuel tank flow into this cannister if your gas cap is not purging properly this will push fuel and vapors into this cannister to. but if the cap is fine the canp solenoid may be malfunctioning. after you start the engine the canp solenoid is supposed to open and purge the fuel vapors from the cannister into the engine if its not opening properly the cannister will retain the vapors and fuel.which the vapors will seep out of the cannister into the wheel well and into the cabin aroung the passenger side door jamb area.
1-1.jpg

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 90
i believe it would be a dealer item and yes it a cannistor purge valve...you also need to pull the codes is your check engine light on? check with autozone they pull codes free if you get a code repost because bad o2 sensors will cause a drop in gas mileage and cause fuel smell too..or you can click on the link below and pull codes i would do this first before purchaseing anything...

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/test1.php

I'm with Bill. Pull the passenger inner fender liner and take a look at the charcoal cannister (below the antenna). The hoses are likely dry rotted on top of the canister.

For that reason, grab an assortment of hoses before you begin. You will likely be replacing some (the purge line from the CC to the solenoid tends to rot, for one).
Good luck.