Full length sub frames on a convertible question

teamtruett

Jul 30, 2002
Hopewell NY
Cant seem to fine an answer anywhere. A fox convertible has factory reinforcing plates that are riveted over the rear torque boxes and the front of the car has a pair as well and tie into a riveted brace that runs along the rocker panel. A set of full length sub frames with torque box plates (steeda) would run on top of these. My concern is with the rear factory plates, what do I have to cut/modify to use the steeda supplied torque box plates. Right now all 4 factory plates are off the car to be repainted. Any pics would help out GREATLY. kinda confused.... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

a lot of people take the reinforcing plates off once they get subframe connectors. I just cut about an inch or so off of them and welded the plates to the side of my subframe connectors on the front, and took the back ones off. i have the connectors from maximum motorsports though, not steeda. the same principle probably applies though.

The factory reinforcements are better than nothing, but only slightly. Unless you are building a show car to be an example of a bone stock fox body (very rare these days to be sure) your best bet is to lose the stock reinforcements and put on a set of welded in subframe connectors. The difference is amazing.

teamtruett said:
Do I need the bars that bolt under the engine/k-member and the front factory plates?

No, I pulled the rear set off mine and left them off - as well as drilling out the rivets and removing the plates. They are pretty flimsy anyway - mine where bent (several times it looks like) and straightened where they mash them flat - bad design. The welded subframes are all you need.

I actuyally put the Kenny Brown chasis lit in mine which is the subframes, strut tower brace and g-load (or k-member brace) and it made the car fell solid as a coupe. No more cowl shake.