future engine?

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
Illinois
:shrug:Want to build a 302 based stroker. What engine block should i use the Boss or Dart. Going to use EFI,a power adder and expect to get 750+hp. Have heard the boss isnt the greatest aftermarket block.:rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

Mind if I ask you exactly what your combination of parts is going to be in order to reach those kinds of power numbers?? No offence, but so many times I've heard people make claims of lofty horsepower goals, only to never come anywhere near the expected levels. Most aren't really prepared for the level of parts/labour and/or financial strain a project like that will endure. You realize the drivetrain and suspension components as well as the fuel and ignition system upgrades are going to cost you as much as the engine modifications will, right?

Why would you stick with a 302 if power levels like that are what you're after? You'd be far further ahead going with a 351W, or better yet a big block as your base engine?

Engine build plans-Eagle4340forged hbeam rods,crank,forged pistons,Dart block,AFM hyd roller,TFS fast as cast heads,TFS r intake,90mm th.body,NX 200hpkit,dbx 97mmMas,canton pan,meizer elec water pump,AFM PMS,Aeroquip elec fuel sys. etc... :)SUSPENSION-Strange adj struts and shocks,MM frame connectors,not sure about springs yet(moroso?),MM rear controll arms...Tremec600 5speed,8.8rear w/31spmoser axles,Detroit locker,3.73gears....want to run 10.8-11.2 without n2o...low 10's high 9's w/n2o..Will this get me there? Big blocks aren't in my blood. I want to spin a sbf to6000-7000rpm.(i know i need more gear for 7000):p

You're also going to need to upgrade your cooling system and do some major chassis reinforcement if you expect that car to live long and track strait under that kind of strain. You'll need to have a set of battle box's welded in and they won't even let you near the race track without an 8-point cage welded into it. Tires and wheels....not to mention all of the miscellaneous hardware needed to put it together (bolts, gaskets, etc)

...and that's just what I'm able to come up with off the top of my head.

And yes, the 351W base will be a better starting point. Bored and stroked to a 408-427 along with supporting components and you'll make the kind of power you're looking for to hit your 9-second goal.

You realize this is going to be about a $20,000 investment, on top of whatever your car is worth, right? And that's with you doing most of the work yourself. Add another $5,000 in there for labour if you're having someone build it for you. Just preparing you for the financial hit. Unless you are a competitive racer, or have a lucrative income, you might be better off setting your sites a little lower. A 9-second Mustang isn't for the faint at heart.

yeah i know about the investment of $$$. Kids are just getting out of house and have been dreaming about this for almost 15 years...so its just a matter of a little more time and some serious $$$$. you need a cage after 11.50's dont you? had a new 5.0 N2O LX that ran 12.00s back in the day and some nearly stock ones since but its time to build this one the way i always wanted. Thanks for the info