Gas guage blues

• Sponsors (?)

you can take the wires off the sending unit, ground the one and run a hot wire to the other and see if your guage 'pegs' to F. You may just have to ground one wire off the sending unit. Thats the best way to check. I THINK I described that right. A sending unit isnt that much either. I got one for about $35 with a bronze float and a new ring.

Take the wire going to the sending unit and ground it out.

With the key on, the guage should max out. If it does, then it's the sending unit that's the problem. If it doesn't... then it's something else.

Don't mess with any hot wires during this test or else your testing more than just the sending unit.

*Note* There should only be 1 wire going to your sending unit.

allcarfan said:
you can take the wires off the sending unit, ground the one and run a hot wire to the other and see if your guage 'pegs' to F. You may just have to ground one wire off the sending unit. Thats the best way to check. I THINK I described that right. A sending unit isnt that much either. I got one for about $35 with a bronze float and a new ring.

You've been into the pot today haven't ya?? :D

I was close....haha. I should have just said....

while your gas is draining, see if you can get a spark from a hot wire by dragging it along your frame rail.

Its been a long few weeks, what can I say?

allcarfan said:
I was close....haha. I should have just said....

while your gas is draining, see if you can get a spark from a hot wire by dragging it along your frame rail.

Its been a long few weeks, what can I say?

Well stop dragging ass and do my instrument bezel, I'm gonna need that by the end of the year..............................2005 :D

I remember when I was posting about this problem [ages ago] someone replied that they gixed theirs by replacing that ring that holds the sending unit on. not sure why that would work, unless it helps grounding.... :shrug: just a thought.

SLEEPERstang21 said:
yea they seem fine and working

first make sure you have a good ground. Clean a place on teh sender and a place on the frame and run a jumper wire. See if that fixes it, if not the sender may be out of adjustment,

if you check the ground and still have the problem, tell me where the guage reads when it is full, and where it reads when it is empty , and I will tell you how to adjust it.

well Iv got a new tank and a new ring and o-ring. I should have replaced it when I replaced the tank but I replaced it before the car was running so I couldnt tell if it was broke or not untill I drove it and filled it up. Thanks for the info. Ill try it this weekend to see if its the unit or not. Im thinking about just cutting a hole in the top of the tank and putting a wood stick down inside so that way all I have to do is pull it out to see how much gas I have left. :rlaugh:

WORTH said:
first make sure you have a good ground. Clean a place on teh sender and a place on the frame and run a jumper wire. See if that fixes it, if not the sender may be out of adjustment,

if you check the ground and still have the problem, tell me where the guage reads when it is full, and where it reads when it is empty , and I will tell you how to adjust it.

how do i put in the jumper wire?