GAS SAVING TIP

well, im not gonna mention the typical replace air filter and spark plugs thing unless u ask. but on tip i recently found was 100% pure acetone. for every 10 gallons, pour in 2 oz. This guy put it in his car and had some gas mileage meter there, he started with 19 mpg. then he replaced the spark plugs and got 21 mpg, then the air filter, he got 24 mpg and when he put the acetone in, he got a whopping 34 mpg! i researched it and turns out to be true. it mixes in with the gas and makes it more cumbustible and burns the gas more complete. and i was wondering if it would damage ur engine at. it doesnt. some guy got engine compnents and submerged the parts in acetone and nothing happens over months and years. i put some this morning to test it myself. lets see if it really works.

• Sponsors (?)

This old man that comes into my work is about 90 years old. He is smart and quick as a whip. He used to build hydroplanes and race them....he actually raced one last summer at 89 years old!!!! Anyways, he had this whole article about it, and it seems like it is very technical and would work, but I would be leary to try it. He was all for it, but I will hold off...

What works for me:

1. Run premium.

2. Don't carry around a bunch of crap in your car (100lbs of subs in the back costs you mpg).

3. If you really care about mpg then drive like it. Don't be that guy who races me at the on ramp getting onto the highway, and don't be the guy running 85mph in the fast lane only to get somewhere 5 minutes faster.

4. This one really makes a difference and is something i've just learned about...keep your cruising RPMs below the point where the ECU goes into closed loop mode. On my Merkur that's right around 2800-3000RPM. This is proving to be a real challenge on the highway because that's right around 70mph which is tough to stay under if you don't want ran over. Keeping below this point in a 5 speed when shifting also helps a lot.

The way things are going its going to hit 4.00+ this summer. I just dont know how much more the economy can handle before it breaks.

I dont even want to think about it..... My wife and I were talking about family vacation this summer and I asked here what if gas gets to 4.00 or more. I dont think we can afford it.

seriously, im looking for all the ways to save some gas. here in miami it might hit 5 bucks when summer comes

Read up on what i suggested. Any way you can shave weight on your car helps. Also make sure your tires are inflated correctly (over inflation actually decreases rolling resistance so a few psi over wouldn't hurt). Huge fat tires will hurt mpg as well. Make sure your car is running tip-top...do a full tune up on it, drop the timing down to stock, even switch back to a 3.08 gear if you can. Don't use the AC...according to Mythbusters AC robs you of more mpg than driving with all the windows down.

Other than that man you're basically just gonna have to deal with driving a not so great mpg car.