GAS SAVING TIP

• Sponsors (?)

I've been told some tips by a guy who worked at a gas station...
-Pump gas in the morning when its cold because the gas will be more dense
-If you can pump at diferent speeds, pump on slow bc if you do it on fast it evaporates and then the pump sucks the vapors back up
-One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine.
-Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

-If you can pump at diferent speeds, pump on slow bc if you do it on fast it evaporates and then the pump sucks the vapors back up
-One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine.
-Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Now THESE are some tips that actually make sense AND work. :nice:

Most newer gas pumps compensate for the change in ambient temperature and pressure. In older pumps that is the case, but most gas stations have pretty new pumps.

What works for me:

1. Run premium.

2. Don't carry around a bunch of crap in your car (100lbs of subs in the back costs you mpg).

3. If you really care about mpg then drive like it. Don't be that guy who races me at the on ramp getting onto the highway, and don't be the guy running 85mph in the fast lane only to get somewhere 5 minutes faster.

4. This one really makes a difference and is something i've just learned about...keep your cruising RPMs below the point where the ECU goes into closed loop mode. On my Merkur that's right around 2800-3000RPM. This is proving to be a real challenge on the highway because that's right around 70mph which is tough to stay under if you don't want ran over. Keeping below this point in a 5 speed when shifting also helps a lot.

I dont know who just "taught" you that little fact in # 4 but its completely untrue. First off you should be talking about open loop. Closed loop is when the computer is recieving/processing information from the O2 sensors. Open loop is when the ECU ignores the O2 sensor data and relies Solely on pre-programmed fuel and timing curves.

If you have a mustang thats running in open loop while cruising down the highway, you have bigger problems. Also i would like to mention the loop status of the ECU doesn't just depend on RPM. Actually it doesnt really depend on RPM at all. It depends more on engine load (instantaneous volumetric efficiency) and engine temperature.

That being said...i do agree with you about the other points you made.