Gas Tank Draining?

• Sponsors (?)

What I have always heard in the past is the best thing to do before you store a vehicle is to keep the tank as full as possible. That way there isn't room left in the tank for condensation.

However, if you wanted to drain the tank you could disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter, then disconnect the Fuel Pump connector and power up the fuel pump from an external source to pump the fuel out of the tank. I haven't tried this before, it's something that I just thought of.

I think moisture in the tank is bull****; I have a 67 that sits for years at a time during its restomod and it never fails to start. The last time I put fuel in it was before I got married and today is my 11th. Anniversary.

I think moisture in the tank is bull****; I have a 67 that sits for years at a time during its restomod and it never fails to start. The last time I put fuel in it was before I got married and today is my 11th. Anniversary.

Not true. Several years ago I put a motorcycle away for the winter with an empty tank. In the spring, I put gas in it and it wouldn't start. I started checking and found I had over a quart of water in the tank from condensation over the winter. Drained it out and the bike started and ran fine. Now I always store vehicles with a full tank.

I've had to drop the tank to drain, using a proper fuel recover tank/pump unit, on pretty well every newer Ford van or truck I've drained at work. They've all had a coiled spring in the lower filler tube hose section to prevent thieves from syphoning. I can't say whether the mustang is the same though.

I've had to drop the tank to drain, using a proper fuel recover tank/pump unit, on pretty well every newer Ford van or truck I've drained at work. They've all had a coiled spring in the lower filler tube hose section to prevent thieves from syphoning. I can't say whether the mustang is the same though.

I'm glad you said something, because I thought all newer cars had something inside of the fill-tube to prevent syphoning.