Gas tank/filler neck gasket

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by roush 97, Mar 31, 2004.

1. roush 97

roush 97 New Member

Does the tank have to be dropped to replace the rubber gasket between the tank and filler neck. I crawled under there and could get right at it, but is there enough give in the filler neck once taken loose to get this done? It's no problem if I have to drop the tank, I was just looking for a way to save the hassel.

2. 88stangmangt

88stangmangt New Member

no i think you have to looesn the couple of bolts holding the neck and the 2 holding the straps and bring it down and just put in a new rubber gasket. i never did when i dropped my fuel tank it was still real tight? so i left it your should still be fine?

3. mustangrfast88

Founding Member

sorry to say yuo have to drop the tank and that aint no biggy and well there i would put a new pump and sending unoit in there well you are at it

4. roush 97

roush 97 New Member

It's not a beg deal to drop it, I was seeing if it could be done without it. I 100 percent sure that's where I'm leaking gas at. It leaks out when it's full till I burn some out of it. Thought it would be a good time to change it since I've had the gasket a while and the tank is near empty.

5. shallto

Founding Member

I did mine with only taking the filler neck bolts and one side down,,saved some time. It was definitly easier to get back up. The only downside is that the gasket was 35 bucks from Ford.

6. roush 97

roush 97 New Member

I got mine for $27 through Ford. Guess it depends where you buy them. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the help guys.

7. Bigstang1

Founding Member

I screwed around for hours trying to do it without dropping the tank and it would have been faster to just drop the tank from the beginning. CArfull putting it back in its easy to tear. just my $.02