Gas tank/filler neck gasket

roush 97

Aug 28, 2003
Illinois
Does the tank have to be dropped to replace the rubber gasket between the tank and filler neck. I crawled under there and could get right at it, but is there enough give in the filler neck once taken loose to get this done? It's no problem if I have to drop the tank, I was just looking for a way to save the hassel.

• Sponsors (?)

no i think you have to looesn the couple of bolts holding the neck and the 2 holding the straps and bring it down and just put in a new rubber gasket. i never did when i dropped my fuel tank it was still real tight? so i left it your should still be fine?

It's not a beg deal to drop it, I was seeing if it could be done without it. I 100 percent sure that's where I'm leaking gas at. It leaks out when it's full till I burn some out of it. Thought it would be a good time to change it since I've had the gasket a while and the tank is near empty.

I did mine with only taking the filler neck bolts and one side down,,saved some time. It was definitly easier to get back up. The only downside is that the gasket was 35 bucks from Ford.