Gas Tanking leaking...

Jeff7477

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2001
Lincoln, Nebraska USA
On my '90 GT, there is fuel leaking somewhere from/around the gas tank. It only leaks when its over half full, and is a slow drip. I can park the car in the garage overnight with a full tank of gas and have a puddle around the passenger rear of my car the next morning.

It seems like its coming from the passenger side of the tank. I have never dropped the tank so I don't really know what is up there to leak. What do you all think it could be?

Another thing...it doesn't drop out of the holes on the bottom of the tank protector, it comes down the side of the protector.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like the rubber gromet around the filler tube is bad. its located on the passenger side of the tank. that is really the only hole in the tank for something to drip out of as well.

you can pick them up for about 20 bucks.

I had the same exact problem with mine it would only leak when it was a little over half full....it was the gromet between the tank and filler tube i guess i was supposed to replace that when i changed my fuel pump.

yet another filler pipe-to-tank grommet answer. 20 bucks at the dealer for the part. Not too bad at all.

Good luck.

remove the gas tank door, there is 4 bolts. one at each corner. this allows the filler tube movement so you can wiggle it out.

next, jack the back of the car up. support the tank with a jack in the center. remove the two strap bolts and slowly lower it down. you will need to lower it about halfway or so. remove the bolt holding the lockring to the tank, then wiggle the tube out.

once its out, you can just pull the gromet from the tank. probably put some wd40 or lubricant on the new gromet to help upon re-installation. also make sure no loose dirt or anything falls in the tank.

Jeff7477 said:
ok i got the old grommet out, but it doesn't seem like there is any way to get the new one in. I made sure the old and new are the same, and they are.

Is there a trick to getting the new one in?
Squeezing the new one pretty good helps to get it in and seated in its 'lip' (same idea as putting a rubber grommet in a firewall hole).
Then the filler pipe went in after that. Be sure and use lots of motor oil, etc to lubricate it so the new grommet does not tear.

Good luck.

yeah, i had to do the same thing a week after i bought my car because it was sittin for eight months and the gasket dryrotted. anyways, if you don't alrady have it done, be sure that you insert the filler neck before you bolt the tank back inn, i found that out the hard way

Well, no dice on that fix :(

Went to fill the tank and its still dripping. I can't really stick my head up in there to see exactly where its coming from, but my best guess is that its coming from the lip that runs around the mid-section of the tank. Are the tank welded together or pressed somehow?

Its not coming from the top of the tank, and from what I can tell the grommet is working great....its just coming somewhere from the side :notnice:

Guess a new tank is in order.

One more thing, for awhile now my exhaust hasn't been centered correctly. When I first got the car I got a Flowmaster cat-back installed professionally and they welded it together. After while I bought some BBK headers and H-pipe and got them lined up as best as I could, but since the cat-back was welded I couldn't get it lined properly. Because of this sometimes the exhaust will tap the framerail/gas tank.

Think this could have caused a leak? It doesn't hit it HARD, but sometimes when pulling away from a stop or bogging the motor you can hear it hit the rail/tank.

Guess a new Tank/Cat-back is in order. :owned: