Gears

• Sponsors (?)

Ford racing yes, even used ones,
Stick, street, n/a dailey driver 355s
Auto, street, n/a dailey driver 355s or 373s maybe a little taller tire
Strip? Too many veritables
My opinion is just that, this is with mild bolt ons that will be fun to drive and not scream bloody murder on the highway,

What do you think of motor sport 4 10s
Well that depends, when you get up there in gears you sacrifice some highway speed do to spinning the engine higher, you can makeup some with tire height but its not gonna look or drive good with dump truck tires on the back.
I gave you some general info for a general question, there are a lot of veritables here.
Here is my setup
89 gt t5 stock cam 5.0 gt40 tubular intake 19s putting gt40p's on soon 70mm tb c&l pipe &maf I think 245/50 16 not sure have to look. fun dd, gos sideways alot.
Slicks are for race cars

4:10's with a stock t5 and a 26" tall tire will be fun a first. But you will learn to hate 1st and 2nd gears. 3rd and 4th will be a blast though. 4:10s and a 26" tall tire need T5Z trans gears to be an all around fun setup.

I personally would do 4:10s. I had an 03 mach 1 with 4:30s. Different animal I know but still i had 4:30s for everyday driving. You will love the acceleration. Freeways may get on your nerves a little as it will be in a higher rpm at cruising speed due to the 4:10s but other than that they would be fun. The old saying is "don't fear the gear".

I personally would do 4:10s. I had an 03 mach 1 with 4:30s. Different animal I know but still i had 4:30s for everyday driving. You will love the acceleration. Freeways may get on your nerves a little as it will be in a higher rpm at cruising speed due to the 4:10s but other than that they would be fun. The old saying is "don't fear the gear".
Come on Chris, you live in Hawaii. How long are your highways?

4.10's will drive you nuts if you intend to drive it much, but you mention slicks. So it won't see a lot of road time, I gather.

Reactions: 1 user
Come on Chris, you live in Hawaii. How long are your highways?

It's a trick question, right? I can EASILY be on the highway for 1 to 2 hours.....and that is to go 20-25 miles. You do know we are in the top 10 for the worst traffic jams in the nation right? And you thought we all live in little grass shacks.....But anyway, I still stand by my opinion that I would (and have) done 4:10s. I currently have 3:73s in both my foxes. They are ok.......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is a question where you really need to do your research and make a decision for yourself.

I have 3.73's with my 5-spd and honestly am not a fan. It's great when racing, but unless you drive around at WOT banging the gears on every street corner, it gets old fast.

I feel like my 1st gear shift is way too short, and just cruising out of the neighborhood I'm into 4th gear way to fast.

Highways near me are 80MPH pretty much all the time. So when I get on the highway, I find myself gingerly accelerating in 5th gear, and then if I need to pass a car, I either have to drop to 4th and open it up pretty far to rev match, or stay in 5th and gingerly apply power to pass. Really feels like I have no cruising ability in the 70-90MPH range, which believe it or not, is common freeway speed up here.

I recently picked up a set of 3.27 gears, and after I wrap up a few projects, I'm going to do a 31 spline upgrade and swap to the 3.27's and give that a shot. I haven't ruled out 3.08's as well. I drove a HCI fox with 3.08's, and thought it was perfect as the car had tons of down low torque.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a question where you really need to do your research and make a decision for yourself.

I have 3.73's with my 5-spd and honestly am not a fan. It's great when racing, but unless you drive around at WOT banging the gears on every street corner, it gets old fast.

I feel like my 1st gear shift is way too short, and just cruising out of the neighborhood I'm into 4th gear way to fast.

Highways near me are 80MPH pretty much all the time. So when I get on the highway, I find myself gingerly accelerating in 5th gear, and then if I need to pass a car, I either have to drop to 4th and open it up pretty far to rev match, or stay in 5th and gingerly apply power to pass. Really feels like I have no cruising ability in the 70-90MPH range, which believe it or not, is common freeway speed up here.

I recently picked up a set of 3.27 gears, and after I wrap up a few projects, I'm going to do a 31 spline upgrade and swap to the 3.27's and give that a shot. I haven't ruled out 3.08's as well. I drove a HCI fox with 3.08's, and thought it was perfect as the car had tons of down low torque.
I agree, I have the T5Z with 373 and I have a little bit of a dead zone between 70-90 or so. The Vortech makes up for it somewhat but I have also been contemplating the idea of a gear swap. 1-4 full on is fun but I do a lot of cruising as well. Cops here in Northern Virginia are terrible so cruising is my only option sometimes.