Get me in the 14's! What can i do?

Theres a couple things you can do for free to get your time down a little bit further. You can always remove the front swaybar, shave wieght, ice the intake...and maybe most importantly practice. Before you go to the track head out to a empty parking lot and practice launching. I know its an auto but find what rpm you can leave the line at without spinning. practice the power braking thing at the line to jack up the rear end so when u hit it, the rear end squats as much as possible. Oh and if u are running on street tires which u probly are, drive around the water box and dont do a burn out! good luck man

• Sponsors (?)

first off spare tire, rear seat out, any sub anything in the trunk out, im guessin u dont have mass air...i would run it without the intake tube connected to the box...just the tube no filter nothin....or at least remove the air silencer on the passenger side towards the bottom of the bumper...set timing at 14 degrees..thats the sweet spot on the stock 5 liters...front sway bar out..bag of ice on the intake b4 runs. run 93 octane but make sure u only got a quarter tank of gas(for weight)do the 1d1 shifting, launch about 1600 but dont do a burnout if ur runnin street tires...lower the tire pressure to about 20psi...do that man and ur 14's r def there...i had the same problem with my first mustang b4 i did any mods i ran a 15.00 ...whata pisser...after those little changes i was 14.7's..one thing i didnt know then that i know know is disconnect the vaccum off the furl pressure regulator to run more fuel..im not sure if it will help or not but its an idea and then if u still dont have the times take the belt off for a run

If your tranny doesn't have a shift kit, or has some higher miles on it, I would not recommend the 1d1 shuffle. I would however back up the guys who suggest taking some weight out of the car (spare tire, tools, etc.), it also helps if you run your gas down to 1/4 tank before rolling into the track; an EASY 100 lbs. out of the car right there (not to mention .1 sec off your time). If you can borrow a set of slicks or drag radials from someone, you should be golden. Failing that, if you are spinning off the line, you need to change the way you're launching. I know it's tough with an automatic, but as someone else suggested you have to practice launching with as little tire spin as possible; leave off idle if you have to. Also, just mashing the gas off the line is not the greatest way to launch a car if you are having trouble with traction. Practice putting your foot into the gas gradually enough that you leave quickly, but don't break the tires loose. Remember; every .1 you take off your 60 ft. equals about .15 seconds off your e.t. Good luck.

I'll be racing at dragway 42 in West Salem, OH for the guy who asked.. Also the A/c is already yanked out. I know i can and should be running mid to upper 14's but i just want to make sure i do this time, i cant go all winter knowing im in stock 15 territory.

Well considering the amount of mods you have, (which is more than me) your tranny is REALLY holding you back. I ran a 14.89 the other night with a crappy 2.4! 60'. That's right, 2.4! lol, my tires are bald. But you should be in mid 14's I'm thinkin if you get that shiftkit on there. But lose a bunch of weight, that will really help. The time before last I was at the track my best run was my first one also. My car just kept getting hotter and hotter. :notnice: Anyway, the most important thing is to have fun! Good luck. :nice:

If lowering it hurts, i dont care, becuae i cant stand the way it looks. Looks like a truck. I had a Ford master technician drive my car today, and he said my car is making the power," but just like somebody else mentioned" but my tranny is really holding me back, its shifting at 4900rpm. He suggested the 1d1 suffle, as well. He made sure he told me, that it can be very bad on the tranny if overused, but just a few times SHOULDNT hurt it. He said i might be able to shave a good 4 tenths off just buy using that method. Thanks for all the replies, i really got a good feedback on this on!! By the way the A/C is already gone as well as the front sway bar and smog stuff

lowering springs will help in the rear due to better suspention geometry on your control arms, but in the ftont i would use 4cyl. springs and maybe cut half a coil out depending on how much weight you remove off nose of car. there is a guy on the corral "kevin$" that can tell you everything you need to know about drag suspentions.
my car only dynoed 210hp to the ground through my aod but i cut consistant 1.75-1.78 60fts

I really think the gears and shift kit are gonna help considerably. Ive done the trap speed calculators, and with my trap speed it says i should be running 14.5's to 14.6's. Thats hard to do with 2.3 and 2.4 sixties, and the tranny shifting before 5000rpm. I also think a lot has to do with inexperience. I know ill hit 14's next time though!!!