Going to the junkyard ...

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
to look for a 2.3T engine, FINALLY!
I'll be taking the obvious tools - socket wrenches and adjustables, screwdrivers, some WD-40(!), but is there anything else I should take???
And are there any obvious signs of a shot engine (I don't want to get one, tear it down to find out the block is cracked)?

And I'll be grabbing the ECU, wiring harness, what else?

EDIT: Thanks for your help. And I'm going Tuesday.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you thiught about calling the yard before you go to see what they have on the lot? Also... how are you going to pull the engine out of the car if it's still in the car?

Might wanna bring some pry bars just in case...

You can always check the oil, otherwise I can't think of any easy way to check without either pulling the engine, or taking a compression tester along with you. I think a cracked block is pretty rare though. Cracked head would be more likely. You can pull plugs and check the coloration and all that.

Lboya said:
Have you thiught about calling the yard before you go to see what they have on the lot? Also... how are you going to pull the engine out of the car if it's still in the car?
I am calling 3 places to get round about prices. I know the one doesn't keep an "inventory" persay because the lot is apparantly so huge (this place has also supposedly has an engine lift). Another place they pull the parts, in this case engine, for you (probably more expensive) and the third I have no idea it's just like 2 minutes from my house so I'm going to call them.

Dan P. said:
A Hammer and a friend. I have needed both many times when I have gone.
We're taking my buddy's truck; he doesn't know what he's in for.:D

Red_LX said:
Might wanna bring some pry bars just in case...

You can always check the oil, otherwise I can't think of any easy way to check without either pulling the engine, or taking a compression tester along with you. I think a cracked block is pretty rare though. Cracked head would be more likely. You can pull plugs and check the coloration and all that.
What coloration would I be looking for on the plugs?

When doing major wrenching in the 'yard, in addition to the obvious tools, I always bring these...........1/2" breaker bar and 8" pipe for extension handle, adapters and extensions, very large pry bars, deadblow hammer, hacksaw, PB Blaster, wire cutters, cable cutters, tubing wrenches, razorknife, mechanix gloves, rags and a couple of bottles of water. I also always bring a 3'x6' piece of carpet to lay on. A cordless Sawzall is a luxury, but sure is nice to have! Having the right tools actually makes it an enjoyable experience!

The chances of finding one with a cracked block are slim and none. The bottom ends are bulletproof! But, you might want to pull the head and look for signs of detonation (like pistons with holes in them)!

Thanks guys, I'm hoping it stops raining! I don't want to get soaked and its been raining for days and no sign of letting up.

EDIT: I called all 3 places, none of which have a motor. The one, Harry's U-Pull-It, actually has 2 other locations but they don't keep inventory because they're so big (the one has 10k cars!). I'm going to the one in Pennsburg tomorrow to snoop around because my buddy with the truck lives 10 minutes away from it and I'm only about 35-40. Maybe next week I'll go to the one in Hazelton (~hour away).

EDIT #2: No dice in Pennsburg.

I feel ya, I got my svo in the garage with half the engine in it and my dad wants the thing running asap! There was a merkur engine in pa the other day on ebay, for $150, I was goin to buy it but it was for pickup only. Oh well, I guess I cant have 3 engines for one car.

Josh