Good deal on Stang?

Wicked5oh

Mar 3, 2011
So my 5.0 recently met the grim reaper when some old man decided it was a good idea to pull out from a stop sign into oncoming traffic (me). Now that she is totaled I am looking around for other stangs.

My question is I found a 2001 GT with only 22,000 miles on it and just want to know if there is anything I should look for seeing as the car is ten years old and not driven much (sitting around possibly). Its at a dealership and I'm going to check it out, but wanted any heads up prior. They are asking 10k for it.

• Sponsors (?)

Well seeing as its a dealership I'd try to get them to go as low as possible, I wouldn't want to do that if it was a private party but I wouldn't feel as bad with a car salesman. I used to work at a dealership and more times than not they were willing to drop the sticker price quite a bit to make a sale, to them ANY sale is better than no sale. Is it a ford dealership or small scale dealership? Because the ford dealer I worked for would get cars for dirt cheap from auction and jack up the sticker price, they have some play in reducing the sale price while still making a profit.

10k is way too much for a GT IMO...When I was shopping around I found multiple 03 Mach 1's with 40-60k miles for 10-11k. I would go with a Mach 1 or a 01 cobra if you're looking to spend around 10k. That's just me though.

Agreed,the '01 should be around $7K. My 99 GT was originally listed at the dealership for $10K back in 2009, but I ended up getting it for a tad over $6K. Dealerships have lot's of wiggle room when it comes to used cars. However; I got mine in the autumn, and you're looking for a muscle car right before spring time. Regardless, you should be able to talk them down off their $10K asking price.

So my 5.0 recently met the grim reaper when some old man decided it was a good idea to pull out from a stop sign into oncoming traffic (me). Now that she is totaled I am looking around for other stangs.

My question is I found a 2001 GT with only 22,000 miles on it and just want to know if there is anything I should look for seeing as the car is ten years old and not driven much (sitting around possibly). Its at a dealership and I'm going to check it out, but wanted any heads up prior. They are asking 10k for it.

As long as it isn't spraying oil or smoking and sounds nice, it should be fine. There's nothing really to look for, no surprise weaknesses with these cars.

The miles are pretty low obviously, and the car is ten years old, so it is possible some rubber bushings need replacement due to age, and the serpentine belt could probably be changed. The tires, if still original, are going to be crap regardless of what they look like. Rubber ages regardless of mileage.

Beyond that, just drive it hard and it should be fine.

I will definitely try to talk them down for sure, but getting it for 7k would be hard pressed I think...never know but although it has the age 22000 miles is nothing and thats whats going to be a selling factor. I dont want to buy a car with over 100000 miles on it. As long as its clean at 22000 miles I would think its a decent buy and obviously the lower the price the better.

I will definitely try to talk them down for sure, but getting it for 7k would be hard pressed I think...never know but although it has the age 22000 miles is nothing and thats whats going to be a selling factor. I dont want to buy a car with over 100000 miles on it. As long as its clean at 22000 miles I would think its a decent buy and obviously the lower the price the better.

Thats a good attitude to have, but make sure you dont jump on the first thing you see. There's nothing good about an impulse buy. It takes some guys months to find their car, and usually it's worth the wait. If your looking at that price range, try and find a nice mach or older cobra.

I never jump the gun but I am a bit pressed seeing as I no longer have my other car and need a car to get around. Mileage isnt always everything, but I think it will be hard pressed to find many mustangs with mileage like that or even close for that price range. Any Mach 1 or Cobra is going to run me a pretty penny with low miles and that price range for one will get me something with more miles than I would like for a car I'll drive regularly.

op where are you located? Also I don't think 10k is extremely high in this case, but closer to 9 is about what I would pay. The dealership will push this car with those miles all day long but you should remind them that yes it does have low miles, but there arn't too many people looking for close to brand new 10 year old car either.

I am wary of older cars with very low miles. I think you will have problems with seals, bearings, ect. Cars need to be driven to keep seals and bearings wet. Cars with low miles probably sat for extended periods of time without use. If it was driven regularly, then it was obviously very short trips, which also isn't good for the engine or transmission. I also find older low mileage cars are rediculously overpriced for what you get. Just my opinion...

:jaw: a clean 01 gt here in Tn would nearly bring that with 122,000 miles

yeah i know,
think about this. if you had the same car same mileage. they would only offer you about $6-7k for it, so every time i have purchased a car. if i don't like what their offering me on my trade. i'll always return the favor,

OBTW, if you have the cash, i would forget about dealerships completely
keep checking craigslist and newspaper. also take a road trip to the city increase ur chances,

just my opinion

Check the driver's seat and/or pedals for wear. 22k miles shoudln't have much wear on the seat. If you see any wear, I'd be cautious that the mileage isn't accurate. No way I would give near 10k for a 2001 GT regardless of mileage.

I would say the price is high, but you get what you pay for. If it is from a reputable car dealer I would think about 8-8.5K would be fair. Steer clear of the local budget lots. I was like you looking for a clean low mileage GT. Most of the ones I looked at with higher mileage were beat. If you can do the mechanical work yourself that's great, but if you can't it can get expensive. Your hitting the prime buying season where prices will jump 2-3K at least in Ohio. You can probably negotiate a better deal now. I don't think you will find a clean Mach for 10K, just my opinion based on what I have seen. I wanted a Mach or Cobra but found they were out of my price range. I purchased a 03 Gt with 28,000 miles that sat every winter in a unheated garage and I have had zero issues. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time the low mileage is a plus. Good Luck in your search!