Got Bored & Moded Airbox Pics!

cleveland

Founding Member
Feb 19, 2002
SF>...
So I got bored about 30 minutes ago and I decided I wanted to get rid of my stock airbox to further reduce the resistance in the intake track until I finally save up enough cash for the JLT and Diablo Sport GT.

Anyways, there is already a decent difference in suction but I can tell that the stock airfilter is still pretty restrictive. The underhood noise has increased to my liking as well. :)

As you can see I did the chop job with my trusty Dremel, it took me about 10 minutes and turned out with very straight edges. I was sure to retain the portions of the box that were needed for mounting to the fender.

moded_airbox_1.jpg

moded_airbox_2.jpg

moded_airbox_3.jpg

-Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Nice idea. Let us know if you have any problems with the filter getting wet/overly dirty (dont know if that would be an issue or not :shrug: ) Also, are you going to get a K&N and do you plan on "resetting" the computer (taking off battery terminal)?

yea i have looked at the good cold air kits and they have a seal that closes off to the hood so that they only pull cooler air from the front. cooler air = denser air = more fuel = more HP. hot air = thinner air less HP. nice straight cuts though

afixer said:
yea i have looked at the good cold air kits and they have a seal that closes off to the hood so that they only pull cooler air from the front. cooler air = denser air = more fuel = more HP. hot air = thinner air less HP. nice straight cuts though

Okay now, apparently you are mistaken. There are no enclosures that effectively reduce temperatures for the incoming air, they are only appearance pieces (brackets). There was even an article (printed below from jmschip.com) that proved that the so-called heat shields that are available on some of these "cold air kits" do absolutely nothing.

While experimenting with the 'other guys' cold air kits we discovered something interesting. Most of the kits we recieved included a heavy shield that surrounded the air filter. We not only discovered these kits to be heavy, but our dyno prove our suspicisions, that they had no value other than cosmetic. There was absolutley no power increase with this shield installed and no gain was seen at the track.
The only thing that has been proved to help reduce intake temperture and increase horsepower is the use of a composite instead of metal for the intake tube.

The JLT CAI is an example and its officialy not a Cold Air Intake. Also, CAI is just a term that is used to label these intake kits and it doesnt even provide cold air to the engine if its installed in the engine bay.

So far the debate is still in my favor.

-Dan

your gonna have to buy a filter sooner than others now. You could have spent that money on a CAI. Because instead of a little slot that sucks up crap, you got the whole engine bay.

cleveland said:
You are kidding me right, have you looked at "Cold Air Kits"? Im guessing no....

-Dan

No I'm not kidding and I have seen the so called cold air kits out there and I don't think I will get any of the ones that suck air form the engine bay. And let’s not forget the same manufactures have the kid’s buying big old wings and yellow tape and we all know the power that adds.
Todd

toddrGT05 said:
No I'm not kidding and I have seen the so called cold air kits out there and I don't think I will get any of the ones that suck air form the engine bay. And let’s not forget the same manufactures have the kid’s buying big old wings and yellow tape and we all know the power that adds.
Todd

And you think that those kits dont add any power then? You are an extreme case of ignorance.

-Dan

todd dont waist your time arguing. this 22 year old obviously knows much more than a svt mechanic a 35 year old and a 44 year old. got ta go the honeymooners are on and after that hobo kelly.

It seems as if the few opinions here are stating that "cold air kits" dont add power when in fact they have been proven that they do. What gives with that? Perhaps be a bit more clear with the repsonses then if that is not the case.

-Dan

Cleveland,
No offense, but I don't think you gained anything. The "box" itself is not the restrictive part. The filter, filter angle, and ducting to the engine are the restricitons. You still have those restrictions. In addition, most CAIs are a straight shot from the filter, your filter draws air in at a 90 degree angle (facing down). If anything the air inlet point of the stock box would provide some ramming effect to force air through the filter into the ducting. With your setup the air passing under the car and the swirling air from engine components may cause a partial "dead" area where your setup is now trying to draw from.

I would watch that paper filter closely. It is going to absorb moisture, grime, etc. and become a choke point fairly quick.

None of us know for sure (unless you take it to a dyno) but that is my humble opinion, take it or leave it.

Finally a well thought and respectable opinion that makes sense.

The topic here switched from my above mod to opinions that imply that "Cold Air Intakes" dont add power. About 25-30 HP from the JLT and an equal amount in FT/LBS is definately something not to scoff at.

I simply got bored and just decided to do it to see if it would net any difference and it has improved suction a small amount. I didnt expect any noticable improvement in power and I never claimed there to be any.

Like I originaly posted, I just wanted to do something until I get my JLT and GT tuner. It might be 2 weeks until then so I will be fine with this mod.

Fair enough Cleve, I just didn't want people who may not know to try this mod without thinking about the consequences.

I will tell you that you will not be disappointed with the JLT. I installed mine today along with the tune from DTP Racing ad I am very pleased. Not as fast as my 66, but a noticeable difference for the 05. I hope to have my write up on both the JLT install and the DTP tune install done in the next few days.

gp001 said:
I will tell you that you will not be disappointed with the JLT. I installed mine today along with the tune from DTP Racing ad I am very pleased. Not as fast as my 66, but a noticeable difference for the 05. I hope to have my write up on both the JLT install and the DTP tune install done in the next few days.
:nice:

-Dan

cleveland said:
And you think that those kits dont add any power then? You are an extreme case of ignorance.

-Dan

I think a lot of mods out there that do very little or nothing that people are standing in line to lay down their money. I do believe my reservations about sucking up hot air is valid and that's what I was talking all about. Take it or leave it
Todd

toddrGT05 said:
I think you may end up loosing power because you’re sucking up all that hot air off the headers and radiator
Todd

I agree. You may not be finished yet, but really all that is needed is to remove the duct, open the corner, and install a larger duct.

Open filter kits make power by removing restriction, but rest assured, compare that same kit to one that is sealed with no restriction and you will gain quite a bit more power in comparison.

Based on our dyno testing, *ROUGHLY* a 10 degree drop in charge temp equals 10 RWHP, which roughly equated to a tenth of a second on the track.