Got Bored & Moded Airbox Pics!

One thing I wonder about is do the guys dyno the cars with the hood open
with the after market air filter systems?

There is a big differance between a car with a nice cool down in between
runs with a huge fan blowing at the front of the dyno.

On the street there is going to be alot of heat under the hood .

Show me some numbers at the track :) Also try making back to back runs with both systems to be sure or even switch back again :)

There are many tricks dyno shops use like icing the intake ect which you can do at the track.

I need to see some track numbers :)

I wouldnt waste my $ unless i see real results :)

• Sponsors (?)

PONY XPRESS said:
Dan

Check out my "Poor Man's CAI". Did this months ago with great results. I have a heat shield & an additional air intake.

Kept my box stock in case car has to go in for repairs.

Have fun.

Frank

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=12644&hl=poor+mans+cai

Okay, using 2.25" shop vac hosing, a 90 degree pvc elbow, and a shop vac attachment to act as a funnel, I routed the hose as Frank did and stuck it directly in the air box. I cut out the trapezoids in the plastic piece below the closest headlight and mounted the shop vac attachment there. Air goes in through the grill there, into the shop vac attachment (funnel), throught the pvc, into the 2.25" tubing and into the air box. Any thoughts on this? Positive or negative?

afixer said:
todd dont waist your time arguing. this 22 year old obviously knows much more than a svt mechanic a 35 year old and a 44 year old. got ta go the honeymooners are on and after that hobo kelly.
Hobo Kelly is on? Wooohooo! That was so cool how he could turn trash into toys :D .

cleveland said:
Okay now, apparently you are mistaken. There are no enclosures that effectively reduce temperatures for the incoming air, they are only appearance pieces (brackets). There was even an article (printed below from jmschip.com) that proved that the so-called heat shields that are available on some of these "cold air kits" do absolutely nothing.

I wonder if a nice thick layer of Dynamat Extreme would aid in keeping the heat away from the intake housing. I noticed a marked difference in the surface temp (via touch) on the hood of my Eclipse when I applied a layer under the hood. Downside is that I suspect it would look like crap.

Underhood temps will reach 180 degrees in the Summer. Yes you want it sealed.

I also think there is no point in adding a duct unless it is 3" in diameter. That is if you only have one inlet duct, and the box is sealed.