Got caught by cops without cats

• Sponsors (?)

must b a stang said:
hay guys i posted this to get some answers to my problem not to get comments like 89mustanggx, im am 37 and due not drive like a idiot, i drive to enjoy my car.

It's clear to everyone now that cops pull over all cars that have no cats, Flowmasters, and stripes on the hood. It doesn't matter how you drive, it's unavoidable. It can't be your fault! :rolleyes:

Man that really blows. I've had my exhaust (LTs,o/r X, dynomax catback) for 2 years and have never once been pulled over for it (knocks on wood), and the times I have been pulled over, I deserved it. Like everyones been saying, but drive normally and you really shouldnt have too much of a problem.

guys if im on the highway doing 50-55 which is the speed limit, my car was loud and i mostly got pulled over usually after 9:00pm and the only town pulling me over for this is aberdean, my girl lives in cliffwood beach which aberdean also has jurisdiction over, she has been pulled over for the exhaust being loud on my car. each time i was pulled over it was due to the car being loud when a cop has radar set up on the highway and hears the car drive by. i have a clean driving record and if i was doing anything like driving like an idiot i would not just keep getting loud exhaust tickets i would be getting moving violations.

IF you see the cops in advance AND if you have a manual tranny, put in the clutch a little ways before you pass the cop and coast by. OR put it in 5th to keep the RPMs low to make the sound quieter.

As I'm building up my car, I've decided to keep graphics and most other "attention grabbing" stuff off my car for this very reason. I don't want any attention unless I'm asking for it. :) Probably the only cosmetic thing I'm doing is nice 17" rims and a Cobra front bumper, but other than that, my car doesn't stick out at all visually.

Personally, I think you'd be OK without the stripes, but some people are going to think your a "punk" or something because of them. They are wrong mostly, but that is sometimes the stereotype. Tough choice to make either way.

If you're going to spend $$$, get an H pipe or X pipe with 2 cats and be done with it. Plenty of options for under $400, plus you can pass a visual inspection.

flowmasters suck anyways. Dump them and get a nice magnaflow catback, or a dynomax catback. Or you can get magnaflow or dynomax mufflers welded into your existing piping. I got dynomax's welded into my MAC catback for pretty cheap. I see no reason to not run hogh flow cats. HP loss is minimal and its not as bad for the enviroment. I mean I know my car pollutes more than most others but if your gonna spend money on high flow cats dont gut them. Oh and any GOOD muffler shop will be able to weld in high flows into an O/R pipe, unless you have some crappy brand with weird bends (I have yet to see something like this).

yea keyport does suck, my church is on maple street in keyport and i was parked on side of it, and when i came out from worship i had a ticket on my windshield for tinted windows. hazlet and union beach are also pretty bad, but not as bad as middletown

must b a stang said:
still have not had any tech responses
No tech responses eh? Possibly you missed my earlier comment?

GRGT1994 said:
if you rig up a fake cat solution (gut the cats or weld on heat shields), won't you just keep getting pulled over? If you are OK with that then go that route I guess.

If not, maybe you should think more about the LT with shorty H and high flow cats. The after market cats have only 2 cats (not 4 like stock). Also, I have heard plenty of people say they like that sound quite a bit. I can't speak from experience yet. Hopefully later this summer I will go that way along with some other major upgrades.
OK so I'm no tech genious, but I thought that was a pretty good suggestion. LTs will definitely mellow you out, and a shorty H pipe with cats might put you right where you need to be.