got screwed by my ford dealership, any suggestions?

LUCAFU1

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2001
Tucson
well when i came back from across the pond the very first thing i did was buy a brand new 03 cobra. i paid alot for it but it doesnt matter, i am very happy. so i drove down to sanford ford, nc to pick it up and trade in my 03 spec v. part of the deal was that i got to keep my $400 mp3 player and they would swap it out w/ the factory one. well they did but while the car was being cleaned one of the workers stole it. i go down and pick it up and they say that they misplaced it. i say im not leaving w/out it, then they come back and say they think they seen it installed in a workers car. but he went to lunch, and he has noticed the attention it has brung so when he gets back the face plate is off. well there is no proof that he took it, my salesman is sure he did. i really dont care, as long as i get one back or money for it. well its been over a week now and nothing. the Gm doesnt return my calls and he says he will get a replacment equal to the depreciation (im sure its spelled wrong). i dont think this is fair. its not my fault it was stolen. am i wrong? any ideas on what should i do? i was thing of filling a police report but its not my car so i dont know. just wanted to see if i had any options.

sorry its so long

carlos

• Sponsors (?)

Did you get anything in writing stating that they would perform this swap for you? It's a form called a "we owe" that would state anything promised. If so, they owe you an MP3 player, period. If there's nothing in writing you have a problem and I'd file a police report. If you have the we owe and the GM won't return your call, go directly to the Dealer Principal. Usually, if the owner gets involved, s*** happens immediately.

Good luck.

file a report or threaten too as the player was yours. Find out who the owner is and raise hell with them. Be as aggressive as possible pursuing this. If you lay back they will forget you and nothing will happen. Tell them by registered letter or personally that they have one day to give you a new player, forget deprecieation for your trouble, or you are giong to the police, better business bureau, small claims court, the attorney general's fraud unit as they admitted an employee took it and will not return it (which is the same as the dealership stealing it in your eyes) and anyone else that you can think of to speak to. Write a complaint letter to the BBB and to the local paper's editorial and show them these. Threaten all of these actions calmly and forcefully and they should give in. Make sure that you tell them that if you lose $400 then they will lose sales and their excellent public reputation which will cost them more in the long run.

Don't give up!
good luck and be a shark to these people

I would escalate the issue above the GM. You alredy tried the chain of command w/no resolve. I suggest making a drive down there, ask to speak w/whomever is in charge (higher then the GM) and explain the situation. Simply state the way your situation has been treated and that is simply unacceptable as a customer. Believe me, someone in that office can write a check.

Don't continue the phone calls. As you've seen, there pretty much worthless. The "in-person" approarch tends to work much better.

Good Luck.

Hey man that sucks! I'll tell you something. I know you live far from the dealer but if you go into the showroom on a busy day with as many customers in there as possible and start raising some serious hell. I really mean raising your voice and making customers feel uncomfortable I bet you can get the gm to get out there and make a deal. Your mp3 player is worth less than losing even one customer to them. You don't need to be any kind of actor or anything just try to overdo it. I have used this tatic before to get a new trans in my foxbody Saleen quite a few years back and it worked well.
I hope you have some kind of reciept or something that shows you dropped it off to be installed or have an original reciept for the player. If you think it's in one of the #$%@* 's employees cars call them on it and file a police report. Just make sure you do it in the showroom with customers around.

And thank you for everything all of our boys and girls in our armed forces do to protect our country. We are all very proud of you. Keep kicking ass. :flag:

The only way to get through to a dealership is move up the chain of command. I have the luxury of just telling my dad (he used to be head over all dealerships in the southeast) and he's able to make anything happen.

The GM won't care if you say that you'll report with the Better Business Bureau or anything of that sort. It's not his problem, it's the owners problem. You could also call Ford Customer Care and get someone else who is further up in the 'food chain' if you aren't able to make someone at the dealership give you the info.

If you REALLY can't find a way around it, PM me the dealership name and location and I'll get the head hancho's information and number. They won't let it go until it's resolved.

As far as getting the exact mp3 player back, that may not be a possibility - so a replacement might have to suffice. And if you don't have any proof, the police won't be of any help either...

Let me know, and good luck!!

~Amber

File the Police report NOW!Stop talking to the GM and go over his head to the owner with the police report and copies of all the letters you are prepared to mail to the BBB,local newspaper ect...You also have the right to file a complaint with the JAG office at Ft. Bragg. DO NOT go into the dealership and lose your cool. You are on private property and the dealer can have you removed or arrested if you mistreat the employees ect...If the dealer get's enough complaints at the JAG office he can be put on a restricted list and it will hurt his business.

Hey Thanks for all the replies. I know its almost 2 years ago but I thought I let you know what happened. Basically nothing. I filed a police report but they were no help. All they said was if it turns up in a pawn shop theyll call me. I did get a check from ford for less then %50 of what I paid. B.S.

Thanks agian everyone. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone.

Luis