GT-40 Crate engine + Boost???

BelueLX

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
Im looking at a GT-40 crate engine to replace my tired old engine with 150+ k miles. Im running high 11.9xs@113mph in the 1/4 with my stock longblock and 15 psi. Is anyone running a Vortech with a Gt-40 crate? I guess I can make more power at a much safer boost level with the newer engine. I want to replace my cheap parts with quality ones also I just wanted some input/ advice :

Old Engine Setup:------------------New Setup I want:
150k miles longblock----------------Fresh (crate?) engine w/ H/C
Typhoon Intake Manifold------------Trick Flow or Holley Intake
24lb injectors w/ Cal'd FMU---------42lb Injectors and Custom Dyno Tune
C&L 73mm MAF---------------------Pro M 85mm MAF
Mac 70mm TB----------------------Accufab 70 or 75mm TB
Shorty Headers---------------------Longtubes
Cheap Homemade H-pipe -----------Shorty X-pipe
Flowmaster 2-chambers-------------1-chambers
Vortech SC-Trim @ 8-17psi---------Vortech SC-Trim @ 10 psi
11.9x@113mph---------------------Low 11/ High 10???

• Sponsors (?)

i thought that the gt40 crate had forged pistons????

anyway, why are you switching the MAC 70mm t-body for a accufab? something wrong with it? and seeing that the typhoon is similar to an RPM intake, why swap that? just curious. i would save the money for switching and have some porting done on the heads and/or intake!

one last thing... why ya gonna keep the boost at 10psi?

88stangmangt said:
only problem with the gt-40 is it has hyper pistons and they arnt supose to be good with boost. also are you running a BOV or by-pass with all that boost? if you are running a by-pass/BOV how does it sound?
I dont think he was running one. Or I believe thats what he told me. But im not 100% sure.

Dave

no, unfortunately the gt40 has hyperutectic (cast) pistons in it, not forged. it is also overated and some people have problems with them from the get go.

no bypass valve but i run an auto most people use 5-spds (my boost doesnt drop between gears at the track). i didn't see under 5-8psi from staging to the traps.

i have the gt-40x 340bhp crate from frpp, its nice but my computer hates it. i dont think a chip would fix it, im considering a tweecer. from what i have heard, it is my e-cam that throws the whole thing off.... and i am sure that the motor is over rated, i would guess that i have anywhere from 270+ at the wheels, i just got some 3.73 gears, a frpp d/s, afm super king cobra clutch and afm alum flywheel. she feels fast now since the 2.73 gears are out of it, hoping for low 13's or high 12's on street tires. my mechanic is comming to epping with me next weekend, ill let you guys know how things went.

btw, this engine does have hyper-pistons.
any suggestions out there on what power adder would be best for them?
thanks

fawcett
[email protected] on street tires and 2.73 gears