GT-40 heads-worth it?

1988ssp50

Apr 5, 2005
My neighbor is willing to sell me his old GT-40 heads for 500.00. He says that thr ports have been extruded honed and that the rockers are SVO 1.76 roller rockers. Are these worth the 500 dollars, or should i keep on looking? He says he will leave the rockers/valvetrain in the heads, but i would get new valves/rods anyways. any input is appreciated.
-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

uhhhhhhhh, yeah!

i paid 4 for gt40 with NO extrude honing (thats 900 bux on iron heads btw!) and no rockers.........

so, 500............. yeah. thats a steal.

get some good springs tho, and then a custom cam..... make those tfs combo people look stock.

no thats a rip off. Give me his number so I can buy them, errr tell him what a scam it is. lol

Go for it. My favorite setup was my 89 which had gt40s cobra intake and 2030 cam. Ran 13.0s with 3.08 gears. I never should have sold it.

what kind of cam would be good to go with those heads. I do mostly street driving, but plan on goin to the track every once in a while. I also have the stock intake setup with speed density...would i have to change to Mass Air?
-Chris

I think the price is ok. I paid $450 for both of my iron GT40 sets. The second set now has about $800 in it with valve springs, retainers, etc, and valve work. That set has me in the 12's with just a basic carbed car.

They work, they fit intake, exhaust, egr if you need it, etc, with no hassle.