GT, Cobra, Shelby

Dave00GT

Aug 17, 2004
New Jersey
Just curious what most folks out there are planning on doing. Jumping on the 2005 GT bandwagon or holding out for the release of the much anticipated Cobra? Or maybe the prospect of other special edition Stangs?

Myself, I'd love to own a Cobra. If I could afford the insurance now I'd go for it, but it will certainly have to wait. I think I'm going to wait until the Cobra's are released and more information is given about other future "special ponies". As much as I love the new body style coming out, the GT I have now isn't what I really wanted, so I'd rather wait until I can get the car I REALLY want - Cobra :drool:

I fell in love with the '03-'04 Cobra's, I just hope the new ones do the same for me. Or maybe I'll just try and pick up an '03-'04 Cobra in '06.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going to wait it out. I really want a specialty car like a Boss or something along those lines. By the time the Cobra is released, we'll know more about specialty cars. As for the Shelby, i'd love to have one but unfortunately i won't be able to afford it. The name alone costs $$$.

Since I am a GT owner, and I want to "move-up", I'll wait until the Cobra or "special" Mustangs (such as Mach1, Boss, or whatheywillcallit) rolls onto dealers' lots. With rumors about new Cobra sticker price being in $45K neighborhood, plus the insurance... It now seems I'll most likely to be in the market for a new Mach1 or Boss instead of most coveted Cobra...

From car & driver:

Dead: SVT models.

Future: SVT models return in 2006, including the Mustang Cobra and F-150 Lightning pickup, which will be powered by a 500-hp version of the engine from the GT.

I can't make up my mind. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I really don't need a car since my 2001 GT is a 3rd car and only has 22,000 miles on it. But, I really would like an '05 because if its huge improvements in ride quality, driver's seating, lower road noise, handling and overall improvements in refinement. I'd probably drive an '05 GT a lot more than my '01 since it would be more comfortable on longer trips.

I'm not in the market for a new Cobra or Shelby, I really don't have any need for 450 HP and the high insurance rates a Cobra or Shelby would have.

What I would like is a SE sort of in the vein of the 03 - 04 Mach 1:
Hood scoop
Different grille with small fog lamps in place of the big GT lamps.
Special exterior accents, stripes, etc.
Interior upgrades
Hot looking 18" wheels
Better brakes
350 HP / 350+ lb ft
IRS

I guess I'll wait and see what comes along for SEs.

YellowLightning said:
I'm waiting for a special edition of some kind. The new '05 is cool, but the body is a little plain jane. I think it would make an awesome blank canvas for a retro special edition though.

I agree it does look a little lame, but I'm buying one anyway especially since I sold my '97. Actually the '05 is just about the plainest ever. Ford may have done this to cut costs or because most stang owners upgrade their cars and gave us the so called "blank sheet" to work with. Another possibility and I hope I'm on point with this one is all we have seen is pre-production cars and Ford is going to surprise us with the production models and will be in fact jazzed up. So Ford if you are reading this please install a decent hood and some side scoops. :nice:

I was gonna wait for an '07 Cobra but I figured, 1st the price would be prohibitive, 2nd the dealers would probably go back to the "list price for an SVT, take it or leave it" and 3rd '07 is a long ways off for something that isn't even defined! Instead I picked up an '04 Cobra which I really love and even though it's rated 390hp they are actually about 420hp at the crank (360rwhp).
You may consider an '04, they can be picked up for about $30K now, not bad for a 12sec car :).