GT Test Drive

Z GT

Apr 19, 2005
Ok, so I'm thinking I want a GT Vert, but I haven't been on a test drive in any 05 Mustang. I'd sure like to drive one before I order, but of course, nobody has any GT's. I could test drive a V6 and just 'know' that the GT would be faster and sound better, but that sure leaves a lot to the imagination.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Guess I could order a GT and test drive it when it comes in and see if I like it. If I don't like it then, I assume the dealer would gladly let me out of the deal so they could slap their $4000 - $5000+ dealer markup on it and sell it anyway.

So how did anyone out there get a test drive before purchase?

• Sponsors (?)

Test drive a V6.

I can't imagine what it would take during a test drive to make you decide not to take the GT after ordering it, waiting months, perusing the boards, thinking about mods, drooling over pictures, etc...

Can anyone imagine, after everything from order to delivery, walking in and saying, "no thanks" ? - ha! :lol:

Z GT said:
Ok, so I'm thinking I want a GT Vert, but I haven't been on a test drive in any 05 Mustang. I'd sure like to drive one before I order, but of course, nobody has any GT's. I could test drive a V6 and just 'know' that the GT would be faster and sound better, but that sure leaves a lot to the imagination.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Guess I could order a GT and test drive it when it comes in and see if I like it. If I don't like it then, I assume the dealer would gladly let me out of the deal so they could slap their $4000 - $5000+ dealer markup on it and sell it anyway.

So how did anyone out there get a test drive before purchase?

I order my car without a test drive. I was fine with the wait, everyone could not believe that I would buy a car without a test drive and they bugged me about it. So two months into the order I test drove one. Mistake, it drove me crazy until mine came in. I dreamed about it every night. The last three weeks were longer than the first two months. You will love the car order it and try to relax.

Hop around to different dealers in the area, you'll find one eventually.....if you show genuine interest in the car they'll let you test drive........
I never ordered my car, went to one of the smallest Ford dealers in NY on a whim and they had exactly what I was looking for (Color, Interior, Upgrades) right on the lot...checked it out one day, drove it away two days later...
but I guess I did get pretty lucky :D ....keep looking around, you'll find one.....

spectre30075 said:
Order a GT from a dealer that has a GT on the lot, then they'll probably let you test drive it..worked for me.

He said they have no GT's at that dealer. They will always let you test drive one BEFORE you buy. I have never heard of a dealer that didnt.

But I would wait until I drove one before buying. Unless you just want one because its a Mustang.

goumba said:
He said they have no GT's at that dealer.

Correct. That is the problem. The dealer doesn't have ANY GT's on the lot (coupe or vert). They do have V6, but it's not hardly the same car.

I thought I wanted a Chevy SSR til I actually sat in one. Don't like the line of vision in them at all! I did sit in a V6 vert and like what I see.

I think the GT and the V6 even have a lot different SOUND.

Z GT said:
Actually thought about doing that, but it still doesn't tell me how a GT would sound and handle. Looks I can tell from pictures and looking at other GT's.

Obviously, the GT is going to sound great. And it shouldn't be hard to extrapolate how the GT would handle if you drove a V6. Driving a V6 will answer some of the bigger questions with regard to build quality, layout, etc.

What area of the country do you live in? There are a small nbr of GTs on lots around the DFW area. (My dealer has one or two on the lot right now.) If not, maybe there is a forum member in your area that would oblige. I did this for a buddy of mine who also ordered a vert.

I drove a V6 for an entire day to make sure that I would like the car in general. (I was going from BMW 540 and worried that I would get tired of the 2 door stang.)

The V6 is a very good representation of what you get in a GT. Less power, a little quiter but still the same basic car. I really liked the V6 so I knew that I would love the GT. (BTW, I bought one off the lot...)

I for one would tell you to test drive it. It maybe the cars I've had in the past but I wasn't that impressed. It's improved but it needs more power or a good tune and running on high octane gas IMO.

I'm waiting for the NA LE cars to come out in a few years. JMO

I emailed the dealership to set up a test drive for a GT for Saturday 12/04/04 at 10:00 am. Test drove at 10:00 am sharp, promptly ordered at 10:30 am. Picked her up on 01/21/05. :) :) And, the best part --- the GT I test drove was purchased that morning at 9:00 am (i.e. they faxed in paper work for financing) -- GM said I couldn't do the test drive -- my sales rep said they had to let me b/c it was previously set up - my win!!!!!!

goumba said:
He said they have no GT's at that dealer. They will always let you test drive one BEFORE you buy. I have never heard of a dealer that didnt.

But I would wait until I drove one before buying. Unless you just want one because its a Mustang.

At THAT dealer, correct. My idea was, try another dealer, in another town if need be.